Don't want to solder? DON'T

BowieReefer84

Someone just sent me this link -

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-121/Solderless-Connector-for-CREE/Detail

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-120/Solderless-Connector-for-CREE/Detail

No need to solder. . . These are kind of pricey imo, but the option is now there. Not saying they are good or bad, but are worth taking a look at.

Guest thefishman65

Some one on RC posted about those and said the worked well. Considering I fought to drive an LED for under $1 each I certainly don't want to add $1.50 per LED. But $1.50 is far cheaper than burning one up.

If you are about to order you might want to hold off. I am working on confirming this, but I think the group buy I am working on just had a significant drop in price. If so these folks should follow soon.

Since the drivers all come with "strand wire" would you still have to solder 4 LED's assuming you have two drivers? Is there a way to go from strand to solid core wire, like splicing them together?

Since the drivers all come with "strand wire" would you still have to solder 4 LED's assuming you have two drivers? Is there a way to go from strand to solid core wire, like splicing them together?

A wire nut or mounting block should work just fine.

Also, unless it's just a personal preference for you (I do find solid core wire to be easier to work with), at the voltage and current LEDs use and draw, I don't think it matters between strand and solid core wires. The voltage and current shouldn't be high enough to generate magnetic fields around the strands strong enough to induce an impedious amount of voltage on the neighboring strands.

If you need to harden the tips of a stranded wire, for example to insert it into a connector then one option is to fill or coat the strand with solder. tip: heat the strands, then touch the solder to the strand and it will wick into the strands like a sponge.

Hi dude :)

You should solder the connecting wires together and use heatshrink, wire nut sucks!

Well, I just put the XP-G's together with these solder free connections and they do NOT light up . . .I double checked the +/- terminals and they are correct. I am going to shoot an email over to RAPIDLED to see what they say? Maybe I am missing something, but I do not think I am.