Tank Stand

Happyfeet

Hey guys,

So I've decided I didn't like my 48" long tank and I've hired NAGA to build a 27x24x24 Cubeish Rimless tank. :clap:

I'm in the planning process for my tank stand and I

There is a Habitat for Humanity Restore in Chantilly, they sometimes have that kind of stuff. There are also several granite sellers right in that same area. I've never drilled granite before, but I'd image the technique would be similar to drilling glass, slow and steady, don't force the bit, etc.

What are the demensions of the granite? I hope its larger than your tank? It be a waste to cover up such a nice pice of rock there is alot of other materiel that is flat and cheaper. Fill us in on your stand ideas?

+1. At $65 per sqft (minimum i've seen but I haven't been looking in a while) that's $260 in granite you'll never see because it's under the tank. Better to spend that on other equipment I think.

There used to be a granite supplier on Walney Rd before it becomes Westfields that might be able to help you. I haven't been out that way in a few years though.

waterjet is the easiest way to cut granite. You could always make the top out of wood (under the tank) and granite (along the wood edges, but facing out like a surround).

Very little granite to buy and easy to drill thru wood.

After working on rimless tanks, I have come to the conclusion that the rim is there to prevent water from sloshing out when you clean the glass with an algae magnet. hint-hint.

What are the demensions of the granite? I hope its larger than your tank? It be a waste to cover up such a nice pice of rock there is alot of other materiel that is flat and cheaper. Fill us in on your stand ideas?

I haven't decided on demensions yet. The minimum will be 30" by 27 which will have a 3inch rim around the tank. But as you said it would all be pretty much hidden. So I'm thinking of building my load bearing portion of the stand 27"x24" Then adding on space on the right side of the stand for storage and installing drawers. I just haven't decided 100% what I want to do.

waterjet is the easiest way to cut granite. You could always make the top out of wood (under the tank) and granite (along the wood edges, but facing out like a surround).

Very little granite to buy and easy to drill thru wood.

After working on rimless tanks, I have come to the conclusion that the rim is there to prevent water from sloshing out when you clean the glass with an algae magnet. hint-hint.

Yea, I've actually already thought about the sloshing water on a rimless. (One of the reasons I don't want the tank sitting on wood and possibly warping due to moisture)

The only issue I see with building the stand with a wood/granite top is it not giving the look I want.

I haven't decided on demensions yet. The minimum will be 30" by 27 which will have a 3inch rim around the tank. But as you said it would all be pretty much hidden. So I'm thinking of building my load bearing portion of the stand 27"x24" Then adding on space on the right side of the stand for storage and installing drawers. I just haven't decided 100% what I want to do.

Yea, I've actually already thought about the sloshing water on a rimless. (One of the reasons I don't want the tank sitting on wood and possibly warping due to moisture)

The only issue I see with building the stand with a wood/granite top is it not giving the look I want.

you could always get someone to cut a square ring that surrounds a square of whatever material would be sitting under the tank itself. You'd never know that it wasn't solid granite.

You could always do wood and tile the top of it, not granite, but a LOT less expensive and there are some pretty nice looking tiles out there. Then you could carry it over the edge to make it match the surface as well protecting the sides of the top. Let it hang slightly lower than the would and you help prevent the down facing wood from absorbing water as well. Once you have the tiling down, you can coat it with polyurethane to seal it and prevent grout, etc from mildewing due to water exposure :)

Edited by Kevin Garrison

you could always get someone to cut a square ring that surrounds a square of whatever material would be sitting under the tank itself. You'd never know that it wasn't solid granite.

That was my first thought as well, but I now think it would be a lot more brittle and might break under the weight.

If he went bare bottom, he might be able to see more of the granite under the tank...

I don't know too many people with water jets available; they tend to cost around a million or so.... When the guys who installed my Silestone counters (quartz) drilled the hole for my faucet, they used a diamond drill bit and a lubricating oil.

Based on my understanding, I think I would build the stand out of wood and set the tank on top of a foam pad cut to size. Buy granite tile or have some pieces cut from scrap to surround the tank on the stand. Then I would use the granite bonding cement (not grout) and tile the top of the stand around the tank to give it an inset look. With the bonding cement, the gaps between the tiles will be very small (~1/16") and depending on the color of the tile and cement, it may be unnoticeable unless you look right at it. Also, I would caulk the seem between the tank and the tile to prevent water from getting under the tank and warping the wood.

If you are worried about the wood warping, you can use a spar varnish to prevent the wood for warping liken what they use on boat tops. I picked up some at up at Lowes. I'm painting the inside of cabinet with a glossy white and the exterior of the cabinet with a glossy clear spar varnish after I stain it.

Rustoleum

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-207008-Marine-Varnish-1-Quart/dp/B000C011CE (clear) used over stain

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-206999-Marine-Topside-1-Quart/dp/B000BZTJT2 (gloss white)