Overflow Teeth

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4

What is the best way to increase the depth of the teeth in an overflow while tank is full? My overflow is acrylic, about 1/8" thick.

I clipped mine with wire cutters but I have the plastic "all glass" over flows. I think it would be safe to use a dremal tool to open up acrylic, just be carefull and go slow. A dremel with a round sander type head should do the trick. I would also turn off your return pumps so any shavings would not go down into your sump.

please someone chime in because I do not want Mike to hack his tank up cause I said it would be ok :D

Guest what up

Yes, you can use the dremal to do that but make sure that you use 3m tape put it over the Acrylic the part that you want to cut, so it would not scratch and easy to cut throught. Good luck! take you time.

a round tapered file would work as well. safer if you don't want to drain the tank. Else you could drain partly and drill through in spots to open it up. Are you sure the pipe will take the increased flow?

Guest clownfish4

I am not trying to increase flow, I am tryin to lower the level of my water but I can't reduce the flow any further. My tank is ever so slightly unlevel and it is a little high on the opposite corner from the overflow.

I had the same problem. I turned off the return pump and then used a dremel tool. I had a round metal grinder bit that was virtually identical width to the current teeth. No problems whatsoever, just take your time! One thing you may want to do is to use a small fishnet or similar to cover your return so not as many shavings circulate through your setup. I don't think it would particularly harm antyhign, just best to keep the shavings to a miniumum!

Guest tgallo
Have you tried removing some of the water on the high side?

28145[/snapback]

:P lol, youre killing me chip.

Have you tried removing some of the water on the high side?

28145[/snapback]

hehe :D I am sure Chip had good intentions. Mike dremel the lowest part, the wells that are created by the teeth. For every inch you want your water lower then you have to shave an inch off the wells between the teeth. Are you following me?

Guest clownfish4

I get you Sam. I will probably do this on Saturday when I fix the leak in my trim and replace my leaking bulkhead. Hah, problems problems problems.

Guest what up

How do you fix the leak on the bulkhead? I tight my very hard already don't want to break the glass.

Thank