AC 3

iangibby

Ok so I finally have it all set up. Timers,android app, email. I havent attempted the signature yet. My question is gmail uses a TLS which isnt supported by neptune so im using my isp email and forward to my main. Has anyone figurrd out a work around yet aside from email forwarding?

There are a handful of services that don't require that. Why not just create an account for your ac3 at your ISP and have it send it to your gmail? You can put anything you want in the to field. You just can't have the ac3 send from a gmail account.

Oh ok Hyprertech so put the isp address in the "from" and my gmail to the "to" correct? If I do it that way I guess the user name and PW needs to be entered for the ISp account right? The reason im asking about this is I know someone who is using gmail only on his AC3.

Thx.

Correct. Put your login info for the ISP in and then your gmail in the to field.

If there is a way to use a gmail server, I don't know about it. I have the apex though so it might be a little different. Although, I would be mildly irritated if the AC3 could do something my apex couldn't do.

Ok so I finally have it all set up. Timers,android app, email. I havent attempted the signature yet. My question is gmail uses a TLS which isnt supported by neptune so im using my isp email and forward to my main. Has anyone figurrd out a work around yet aside from email forwarding?

I couldn't really tell, from the documentation I downloaded, if the AC3 had an embedded SMTP server using port 25 or whether you had to configure a mail account. If the device is limited to sending SMTP traffic, rather than using POP3, I'm assuming the challenge would be authenticating the SMTP transaction using SSL/TLS or w/e Gmail is requiring these days. The reverse lookup on the source IP, which would flag as residential/dynamic and also be rejected by Gmail, also. I'm really making a lot of assumptions. I would assume then that because you are on the ISP's network, your AC3 can send to your account and you have your mail account forwarding traffic to your Gmail account?

Well, anyway, one way to tackle the problem if you really want direct send rather than daisy chaining the mail accounts would be to use a SMTP relay service, like dnsexit. You can use authenticated relays or non-authenticated relays (but this usually requires a fixed IP, IIRC). They also supply dynamic IP services, for what that's worth. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, although you can also use alternate port addresses (26,8001, etc) to get around ISPs who block port 25.

From reading on the web gmail can use either port 465 or 587, but not port 25 which is the ACIII default.

Looks like you can re-assign the port address also.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368

Might be your best bet for info - Neptune sponsor forums.

Ive tried several combinations thus far even port 587 and no luck. Its not an issue because it works with my isp address just fine but now I really want to figure out why. the only difference between the two is the firmware 3.3 and 3.4 . I suppose my router could maybe have something to do with it?!?! Anyways not a big deal to leave it the way it is guess ill move on to the signature portion and pull more hair out lol

Thanks!!

Ive tried several combinations thus far even port 587 and no luck. Its not an issue because it works with my isp address just fine but now I really want to figure out why. the only difference between the two is the firmware 3.3 and 3.4 . I suppose my router could maybe have something to do with it?!?! Anyways not a big deal to leave it the way it is guess ill move on to the signature portion and pull more hair out lol

Thanks!!

Most consumer firewalls don't control out-bound traffic. What is the structure of your home network?