Need ideas for FOWLR nano tank fish?

BowieReefer84

I have almost gotten rid of all my coral in my biocube. I am broke and moving out and getting married.... I want to do a fish only tank with the cube I think for now (so I stop spending money on corals).

I like the toby puffers, but don't know what cool fish I could have in a small tank. Any ideas at all of fish that would do well in a 29gal tank that are NOT reef friendly?

Thanks for any input on some cool creatures.

I know I like anglers, but worry they are not active and I would get bored outside of feeding time. I want something cool that would prevent me from having a "reef" tank. I have never looked at fish only tanks before, and I know not many people on here have them.

Well, you could get a catalina goby or another cold water fish. It's not so much as they're not reef safe as you can't really keep many corals in that temperature, at least in my experience.

And maybe a dwarf angelfish or a frogfish. Though frogfish might be reef-safe...

Is there a compatibility chart somewhere on here? Could I do a Angler with a dwarf lionfish, or a Toby puffer with a dwarf lion? I can't find a guide on these fish and their compatibility.

if the dwarf lion can eat them, he will. a cool tank would be a dwarf lion in a tank with a cool cave and some tubastrea hanging from the top of the cave...just feed and not as many worries with nutrients since other corals won't in there

Avoid a lion and a puffer in the same tank. I did that once and the lion stabbed the puffer (as well as a small trigger and my hand...).

As far as what to put in a FOWLR nano, anything that can stay small. You can get "dirtier" fish, too, since you're not as worried about water quality as in a reef. One thing I would be aware of is that you won't need the same quality of lighting so you might avoid nuisance algae by downgrading a bit from what you had before.

Avoid a lion and a puffer in the same tank. I did that once and the lion stabbed the puffer (as well as a small trigger and my hand...).

As far as what to put in a FOWLR nano, anything that can stay small. You can get "dirtier" fish, too, since you're not as worried about water quality as in a reef. One thing I would be aware of is that you won't need the same quality of lighting so you might avoid nuisance algae by downgrading a bit from what you had before.

Yea, the cube only has 72 watts of Power Compacts. This is one of the reasons I am doing fish only. Less than 3watts/gal of PC's = no bueno for nice corals.

YW. Something else that should be pinned somewhere on here. It's in the specs box next to every fish on liveaquaria. Oh, and.....

Happy Birthday!

bday.gif

I hope you had a great day.

thanks Jan! All the time I spend on Live Aquaria never seen that.

Edited by Jan