Copperband Butterfly questions please

Larry Grenier

The CBB has always been one of my favorite fish since way-before I even had and aquarium (probably before some of you were born). I also happen to have plenty of tasty aptasia :tongue: My tank is a little sparce at the moment with mostly softies like frogspawn, sacrophyton, shrooms, finger leather...

1) What is your experience on feeding these guys post-aptasia?

2) What is your experience on them hurting other corals or anemonies (thinking about adding a BTA sometime).

3) Any other advice on these guys?

Thanks,

They've long been a favorite of mine as well. My experience with them hasn't been good, so I have given up on keeping one. They just don't seem to last long term and I honestly cannot recall seeing the same CB in a tank over any period of "years". Each time (4) I've picked one up, they have appeared very healthy and were eating like hogs - in the store. A couple seemed to eat well after a few days in the tank, but even they proved to be poor survivors. I decided to no longer try to keep them. One thing I have heard is if they are shipped in a bag that is vertical in the box, they can easily damage their mouths and is a reason they're labeled as difficult to get to feed. It's not that they difficult all the time. I'm willing to bet it's because they're permanently damaged in shipping and simply can't eat anymore. All in all, they're bad candidates for long term survival. You could try peppermint shrimp, but they're hit or miss as well. There is also aptasia x. This works well as long as you get it down into the stalk and even the hole it retreats too. Otherwise, it'll probably just grow back.

I have had mixed results. My long term issues with the ones that have lived are that I haven't kept up with the feeding regimen. They are very docile fish and when confronted with other aggressive fish may go off of feeding. The most success I have had is when I keep them separate and they eat the microfauna in my tank in between feedings of mysis. I have had one that successfully moved over to pellets, but again, once introduced to other fish it can become an issue with their inability to handle stress. I am a believer that with these guys you have to add them early on and avoid any aggressive fish that will bother it excessively when it's introduced. I also believe you need to isolate them in your system (away from other fish, even away from sight lines) until they've adjusted to eating what you offer.

I've had the same experience. Fat, eating, and then suddenly dead. I've got a feeling that's why the one in the auction went so high. I'd buy another that was established but I don't think I'll order another one in.

In my experience they are hard to keep since mine have only liked raw seafood and mysis, but at the same time both of the ones I have had are the easiest type of fish to get to eat of your hand (so far as to nip at my hand in the tank when I am not looking).