New Silicone

cbatkinson

I was doing some work on a tank that I'm getting ready to setup and I noticed that the corner seams are pretty thin and one of them has a small tear. Since its early and I've got the time, I'd rather address it before I come home to find an "accident". I'm trying to figure out what I'd need to do to fix it. I'd like it to look "like new" when I'm done. I know I can just grab a tube of silicone and go at it, but is there anyone out there with some ideas on how i can get it to look neat and like new.

you can't just put new silicone over it as it won't adhere. You will need to take a straight razor and remove all the silicone from both sides, but leave the stuff in between the glass panels....and then take masking tape and tape yourself a frame up all the sides and across the bottom and then silicone inside your tape in the seams. Do small amounts as you go, as it will set fast and get a small cup of rubbing alcohol to dip your finger in and smooth out your lines. Make sure you take the tape off before it dries otherwise you will have a problem with it taking off your new seam if there is any on it.

There are some great sites people have created with pictures if you google.....really step by step stuff.

Rubbing alcohol? Is that the secret to it? I usually just use a wet rag or paper towel to clean off my finger after using caulk of any sort, but if the rubbing alcohol works better and results in a smoother line, I'm all for it!

yep...good old rubbing alcohol.......and mineral spirits will get it off your fingers and hands when you are all done....

Edited by sachabballi reef

When I worked in HVAC, we would just spit on our finger and run it along where we caulked. It left a nice professional concave finish. I had a helper that asked what you do when your finger has too much on it (after wiping it off with a rag), I don't think that he wanted to put Silicone in his mouth. I told him that he had nine more fingers. :biggrin:

Wow, alcohol - I didn't know that trick. So does it prevent that "drag" in the silicone?