I'd like to borrow a copper test kit

Jan

Does anyone near Falls Chirch have a copper test kit I can borrow to test out a new tank? I just want to make sure there is no copper residue in a tank that was used for fresh water. Owners can't tell me if they ever treated their fish with copper.

Does anyone near Falls Chirch have a copper test kit I can borrow to test out a new tank? I just want to make sure there is no copper residue in a tank that was used for fresh water. Owners can't tell me if they ever treated their fish with copper.

I have a Copper test kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals

Jan I did some looking into this. Unless the tank has had water in it for a while you won't be able to tell if its leeching copper into the water in any significant amount.

Fill the tank wait a week or two and then test.

Wait a week or two? That stinks! Thanks for letting me know.

Jan I did some looking into this. Unless the tank has had water in it for a while you won't be able to tell if its leeching copper into the water in any significant amount.

Fill the tank wait a week or two and then test.

Oh, you're practically around the corner from me. Hey, did I give you a bunch of nacro a few months ago?

Okay well let me set this up and I'll get back to you when I'm ready. thank you so much!

I'd like to ask a question regarding the supposed 'leaching' of copper from a used tank.

Can copper be absorbed by silicone?

How much copper could possibly be absorbed by the silicone?

How much copper is needed to cause adverse effects in inverterates?

Is this a legitimate concern or simply an overblown wives tale that gets passed along?

I personally would not worry about it. I used copper in a 38g tank for several months straight through, then it sat a year or two, then I used it for a terrarium for a couple months (full of dirt and rocks and plants), then it sat for about a year, then I used it for a refugium for my 45g, then it sat for about a year, and then I used it for my clowns. I had no problems with corals or inverts dying in a way that would indicate copper poisoning.

Edited by treesprite