Very Loud Mag 5

Guest reverai

Guest reverai

I recentlly bought a used Mag5 pump and I just used for the first today. It sounds very loud when it's working. It sounds like a small model airplane engine. I'm baffled a little as I've heard another Mag 5 and Mag 7 and I couldn't hear them unless I was very close and even then all one could hear is low hum. What can I do to quiet this pump? My tank is in my bedroom and there simply is no way I can listen to this when I get my refugium working. I did take it apart and it look OK inside though there was really onlythe impeller inside.

Thanks

Steve

Being a used pump, you are at a disadvantage not knowing how it has been cared for. I had a used MAG7 that I cleaned monthly... it lasted me less than a year. My initial thought would be to clean it, but it sounds like you checked the impellar and impellar housing and did not see anything remarkable.

I'd get a new impellar and see if that fixes it. If it is the motor... not much you can do about that. I tried to disassemble my dead MAG7, which I tossed into the can after I came to the realization if I did get into the motor... no way would I be able to put it in water again. I have a MAG5, although noise is subjective, I think it is relatively quiet.

Guest RED DOG

I have never look at a mag pump. But... on powerheads and some filters I have found that there are small rubber bushings that wear, allowing the impeller to rub either on the sides or the top. If the pump does have the rubber bushings, look to see if they are woren off to one side. Hope this helps.

And to further Red Dog's comments -

- Check the "endcaps", these little rubber hats keep the shaft centered & hold it still while the impeller spins. If they're worn the shaft will move & make noise

- Check the shaft itself, if it has any score marks or signs of wear it will run "out of round", again it means noise

- Check to see if the impeller fits snugly over the shaft if the hole is worn it will rattle

- Check to see if the impeller slides & spins freely on the shaft (remember the shaft stays still & the impeller spind around it), binding can cause noise

- Check for cracks or loose parts in the housing = vibration = noise

Finally, unless it's really bad a new impeller assembly should fix it right up.

I have heard that MAG 5s make a bit more noise and wear worse than any of the other MAG pumps- I have a MAG 7 and 12 and they run very quiet.

Guest reverai
I have heard that MAG 5s make a bit more noise and wear worse than any of the other MAG pumps- I have a MAG 7 and 12 and they run very quiet.

27438[/snapback]

That isn't a good think as my tank is inmy bedroom. Right now I can't hear anything. This pump while pumping lots of water is much to loud. I guess mistake I made was listening to a Mag 3 and 7 and 9 and seeing how quiet they were misled me a little . I did try a new impeller by borrowing one and there was no change. It's just loud.

Steve

Steve,

The mags come with very good warranties. Find out from the person who you bought it from and see how old it is to see if it is still covered.

Once I bought a used mag 12 and it did not work well. I sent it to them and they sent me a brand new one.

HTH

Guest reverai

I tried a new impeller and that did trick alone with some of the hints that were posted. I can't hear at all beyond the slight whosh of the water.

Thanks

Steve