Does anyone keep a box of baking soda in their stand to reduce odor?

I don't usually have much odor around my tank, but there is some. I was thinking putting a box of baking soda inside my stand near my sump might help. Does anyone do anything like this?

The odor is probably coming off your skimmer cup. Put a bag of carbon on top of the skimmer cup, or a layer of carbon filter floss or something. Baking soda is a new one to me, but I could only see it helping as well.

Or better yet buy one. . . http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/proteinskimmers/Carbon-Filtered-Skimmer-Lid haha

You could have a nitrate problem in your sump / fuge. I had fart-like smell coming from my 30g once and so I tested the tank. The tank was testing ok with nitrates at about 10. So I was confused until I tested the fuge water, it was off the scale.

You could have a nitrate problem in your sump / fuge. I had fart-like smell coming from my 30g once and so I tested the tank. The tank was testing ok with nitrates at about 10. So I was confused until I tested the fuge water, it was off the scale.

How is the fuge water different from the tank water.? Arent they all in the same system.?eek.gif

How is the fuge water different from the tank water.? Arent they all in the same system.?eek.gif

+1

It isn't a fart small, it is just that faint fish smell most of us have near our tanks. It isn't unpleasant for me, but I think I'd like to absorb any odors I can.

+1

It isn't a fart small, it is just that faint fish smell most of us have near our tanks. It isn't unpleasant for me, but I think I'd like to absorb any odors I can.

Now that I know you do not run a skimmer, I have a question. Do you use carbon in your tank at all?

(edited)

Now that I know you do not run a skimmer, I have a question. Do you use carbon in your tank at all?

I've had different setups over the years.

When I had the huge fuge with 40 gallons of macro, I stopped using a skimmer for a very long time. Note the fuge was in the basement, and upstairs near the display there was still a faint smell. Before (and after) that, I used a skimmer. There was always a faint smell, the same smell I almost always smell around other people's tanks. Not disagreeable, but still there.

I always use a lot of carbon.

I guess I'm just wondering if the baking soda will absorb the smell, and am not really concerned about finding the source. I think all tanks have the smell to some extent. I just may be more sensitive to it.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

hmmm.. It's kind of like dripping kalk into your tank. The kalk water increases your Alk and Cal. but because your corals are constantly eating it up, the concentration doesn't go up.

In this case, I was "dripping" "nitra-wasser" into my tank, but because the bacteria and algea was chewing it up faster than it got into the tank, the conentration never reached toxic levels.

edit:

My fuge had like 1/4-1/2" of detritus in it. I didn't notice it as it is a HOB fuge with a skimmer on one end.

Edited by Integral9

I don't know why you'd want to get rid of the smell. I think that it's one of the best parts about a marine aquarium. The smell of low tide in my living room, I kind of like it.