Clam Lighting

quazi

I moved my Blue Derasa from mid tank (90 gallon tank, so it was about a foot down), to bottom tank after too many falls. I have 6 T-5s (54 watt 3-10k and 3-Actinic) in a current fixture.

Is that enough light for a 6" clam @ 24"?

My frogspawn are at that level, and doing wonderfully. My digitatas and Acroporas are within a foot of the top and doing wonderfully.

Clam appears to be 6 inches long as it is 24 inches deep in the water.

I got that, what I was getting at was that even in a bare bottom average 90g tank a 6" clam's mantle would be at less then 20" from the water's surface. When taking PAR readings at the bottom of a tank there is a good size difference in readings from just a 4" difference.

Well, he is 6" across. Maybe 4" tall. Of course, he is my clam, and I am allowed a little inflation as we are dealing with water :laugh:

So, the mantle is, of course, above the floor of the tank. It is a bare bottom tank, so, the 4" is about right, and the 20" from the mantle is about right.

And for the record, my 90 is 24" deep.:happy:

Clams do best when they are closer to the light. You can, if you want to, attach it by it's side (upper or lower on the shell) to a rock closer to the light using epoxy and glue. Make sure that it can open wide and close all the way and that it has plenty of room to grow. I've just moved mine up after it being in the sand bed for almost a year. The mantle expanding as much as It used to. Everything I read said light is the best nutrient for their survival.

Well, he is 6" across. Maybe 4" tall. Of course, he is my clam, and I am allowed a little inflation as we are dealing with water laugh.gif

So, the mantle is, of course, above the floor of the tank. It is a bare bottom tank, so, the 4" is about right, and the 20" from the mantle is about right.

And for the record, my 90 is 24" deep.happy.gif