New guy water question

Guest jcwordslinger

Guest jcwordslinger

Tap water... good or bad? I know about the possible metal found in tap water, but is there a chemical water conditioner I could add to get rid of the bad stuff? I looked into RO/DI filters, too. And I can't see myself buying 50 gallons of water from the supermarket (I'd have to borrow a truck for that). What are my options?

JC

Guest reverai

Tap water... good or bad? I know about the possible metal found in tap water, but is there a chemical water conditioner I could add to get rid of the bad stuff? I looked into RO/DI filters, too. And I can't see myself buying 50 gallons of water from the supermarket (I'd have to borrow a truck for that). What are my options?

JC

27123[/snapback]

The tap water in the DC Metro Area has way to much metal to use in a reef tank. As well as quite a few others that will add to a aglae problem too. And as far know there are no conditioner that can get rid of the metals to the point it be OK for a reef tank. Though of you just have fish, it's seems to be OK but if you use live rock, it can't be used again in a reef tank. Using a RO/DI is about the only solution for larger tanks. I tend to use Walmart distilled water (58 cents per gallon) for water changes ect.

Steve

Tap water BAD. Buy RO/DI water or get a unit yourself.

I got an old "Bare bones" RO/DI unit. I upgraded to a 100 gal / day unit and this 20 gal / day is just sitting here. Comes with an under-sink hook up that will take you all of 2 min to install.

$40 and it is prolly good to make 500 gal of water before you need to replace a cartridge.

How big is your tank?

Phil

Guest mikesroth

You can also pick them up from locals who are upgrading, which is how I got mine. Ask around, it never hurts. OK maybe a little, but it is the good kind of pain. :P

Guest jcwordslinger

Phil - I sent you a PM, but that was before I read your post on this topic. I would very much be interested in buying your old RO/DI unit from you. Wow, I can't believe how much support I'm getting here!

JC

JC,

After your vist with me Sat morning we could drop by Grav's he lives about 10 minutes away- I have wnate to see what he has done on his new tank set up- He hleped me get my tank in place. I will PM him to see his availability Sat morning.

Regards,

Lee

Guest jcwordslinger

Let me know. Sounds like a good plan.