drilling my 42 hex

gastone

Went out of town a few weeks ago and Murphy and his friggin' laws had there say. Needless to say the tank emptied. I was going to get the tank drilled today. I'm not sure what size drains and what size return I should look to add. This will be an LPS only setup. Was thinking about putting in 2 1-1/2" bulkheads to drain and one 1" return using say a mag9.5. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Garrett.

I would think a single 1 1/2 drain would be enough. 1 " on the return is fine.

Guest D33rex

Im also tired of dealing with my U-tube....and fearing the inevitable. I have to resiphon the thing every month or so because it starts collecting bubbles. Im moving this summer and am going to drill it when I do. What is a good site or post that gives instructions/correct drill bit....or should I just get it done somewhere?

Im also tired of dealing with my U-tube....and fearing the inevitable.  I have to resiphon the thing every month or so because it starts collecting bubbles.  Im moving this summer and am going to drill it when I do.  What is a good site or post that gives instructions/correct drill bit....or should I just get it done somewhere?

27000[/snapback]

depending on what size overflow you would need would determine the correct drill bit size, i have the correct one for a 1" overflow which is a 1 3/4 drill bit. LMK if you want to go that size.

Guest D33rex

I also have a 9.5mag running thru a squid. So if a 1 inch would work thatd be great. Appreciate it.

Thanks for the link.

I had Grimm drill for one 1-1/2" bulkhead. He talked me out of drilling a hole for my return. I've got some flex tubing for the overflow. Now comes the slow process of picking up a sump, a return pump, the plumbing, building a canopy....

Hopefully in another month of two I can post some pics.

Garrett.

It is a better idea to go with a hole that would support 1.5" bulkhead. A 1"

plumbing for the drain can only handle a 500gph pump. When i tried to use

a 700gph pump, it was too powerful to the point where the tank would overflow.

You should just go with a single hole . The glass is not strong enough for 2 holes

on a single pane.

I have a 1" drain, with an external durso fitting. The external durso was per Michael's suggestion. Has been working great.

-krish