Electric Blue Hermit

Guest Siders

Guest Siders

Well unfortunately for my electric blue hermit crab he has only a couple of legs now. He was stuck in the back of my tank as of last night when I saw him. I didn't know he was stuck but he was. Today I my powerhead wasn't spiting any bubbles so I adjusted the airflow and to my horror the bubbles(they shoot behind the rockwork) dislodge the decomposing legs of the hermit and pushed into plain view to the left side of my tank. Earlier tonight I took a small pvc pipe and attempted to dislodge the hermit. I then lifted the rock up because he wouldn't budge. He was freed but is missing many legs including is main claws and something that looks like mandibles. I hope he lives. Anyways a warning if your hermit crab ain't eating and moving constantly then poke it to dislodge it because they can and will become stuck. :blink:

Aw man........... that guy is/was awesome.

If it can hang on till it's next shed it's got it made. It will have all it's

appendages back during the molt. Some say an experience like this can cause it to shed earlier than it might have otherwise. Let's hope so.

Chip

i agree with chip, the hermit reminds me of that guy who cut off his own arm when he got it lodged in the mountians. good luck!

Guest Siders
(edited)

Well the hermit seems to be doing well. He is at the top of the tank instead of at the bottom. Thx for the advice. :2thumbsup:

Edited by Siders