New to WAMAS and thinking of building 125G or so

Oleg

Hi everybody,

I have heard a lot of good things about WAMAS and finilly joined yesterday.

I have joined the hobby less than a year ago with 29G BioCube, then I have built a sump for it in stand. It is all been running fine. Although it is just 29G in display so it is very limited to what kind of fish we get and PC light is not really powerful enough to keep most of SPS corrals.

In other words I am ready for an upgrade. I have place in the living room large enough to fit 175G wide one. So I am looking for a tank, I thing in range of 90 - 175G preferable glass bowfront ones.

I wonder where is the good place to buy the tank of that size locally? I am in Ashburn, VA. I guess buying local would be more economical due to shipping charges. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you,

Oleg

Hi everybody,

I have joined the hobby less than a year ago with 29G BioCube, then I have built a sump for it in stand. It is all been running fine. Although it is just 29G in display so it is very limited to what kind of fish we get and PC light is not really powerful enough to keep most of SPS corrals.

In other words I am ready for an upgrade. I have place in the living room large enough to fit 175G wide one. So I am looking for a tank, I thing in range of 90 - 175G preferable glass bowfront ones.

I wonder where is the good place to buy the tank of that size locally? I am in Ashburn, VA. I guess buying local would be more economical due to shipping charges. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you,

Oleg

Check out Fins and Feathers in the Broadlands Center Shopping Plaza and talk to Sean.

Welcome to WAMAS!

F&F is pretty close to you, they are a sponsor of the club, and Sean and his wife are great to deal with. I would say buy local because most stores do not place a large markup, if any, on tanks. They figure if you buy a tank from them you will come back to fill it up form the store. Plus if something is wrong it is much easier to deal with someone local then with a voice over the phone.

I would reconsider a bow front tank. They are harder to clean and distort what you are looking at, among other things.

Starphire or low iron glass is popular. There is a good local Acrylic builder who makes nice custom tanks for reasonable prices. (NAGA)

+1 on Fins and Feathers....

(edited)

Hi everybody,

Thank you,

Oleg

I bought my 175 gallon Oceanic bowfront from SuperPets in Annandale. It was around $2k for the tank, stand and top canopy.

Edited by TonyD

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/37605-fs-oceanic-120-and-equipment/page__pid__325192__st__0&?do=findComment&comment=325192

That is a really good deal on a 120gal with a lot of equipment. $1800. Not sure if you were looking to dive right in, but you can't beat that price. Like the guy above said 175 with tank stand and canopy was 2k alone . . .

check out my 90 for sale. I may have sold the rock and fish. The light, tank, stand, sump, sand, skimmer, refrugium, heater and a few corals for 600.............

I'll talk to Sean. I bought few corals from him before, did not realize they sell tanks as well since their place is a bit small.

I have also seen that 175 in Superpetz. My wife looked scared when we have seen that one. :-)

it's actually good example why ordering non local is attractive. Look that tank was like $2k in the store, but it is around $1k in places like here http://www.cheappetproducts.net/175_REEF_READY_BOW_FRONT_AQUARIUM_BLACK_OAK-P52402.html

I'll talk to Sean. I bought few corals from him before, did not realize they sell tanks as well since their place is a bit small.

I have also seen that 175 in Superpetz. My wife looked scared when we have seen that one. :-)

it's actually good example why ordering non local is attractive. Look that tank was like $2k in the store, but it is around $1k in places like here http://www.cheappetproducts.net/175_REEF_READY_BOW_FRONT_AQUARIUM_BLACK_OAK-P52402.html

Sean is a good guy and will help you. It was definitely an upgrade when I went from a 44 gallon tank to a 175.