help needed please.

Vadim

I've got brown algae growing in glass on rocks on heater and filter intake tube. I did a water change and that helped for a day or 2. when it started growing back i went out and got these small brown type rocks to put in a cartridge and goes into the filter. Nothing has helped. I know i'll have to probably take the rocks out and clean them and filter the sand. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? the tank is 3 months old and this just started a week ago about. all i have in the tank are fish and rocks.

thanks

(edited)

sounds like it might very well be a part of the natural cycling process for your set up

+1

Your tank is relatively young and as mentioned, going through a Ammonia/Nitrogen cycle. In addition, you'll probably experience different algae stages along the way; but, you'll be fine. Continue your partial water changes with filtered/RODI water. Also, during this period, you can try slightly limiting feedings, shortening photoperiods, and using GAC and phosban. I would also suggest holding off with the addition of new inhabitants until the tank has had a chance to cycle. If you haven't already purchased one, get a good test kit for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Phosphate.

A good skimmer and/or fuge with Macro algae will help.

Keep us posted

Edited by zoozilla

if you dont have any or not many corals you can try using a lot less lighting to help ( less hours per day ) , and less feeding

Try adding DO water instead of tap water when making water changes, allows less minerals to enter your system, which allow the algae to grow quicker. I found this really helps when you get to the red slime algae stage after the brown algae stage. The brown stuff disappears after a couple weeks, so, like everyone else says, i'd ride it out.