Ceramic Rock Scape

BowieReefer84

I have discovered these ceramic rocks on aquarium specialty, http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=146_237_258

I like how tall they are, and that they can go to the top of the tank and remain sturdy. I also like how they do not require any pvc, epoxy, or zip ties. I know they are expensive. Also, they have the plates that can be easily moved around to different heights. I am a big fan of open aquascaping, as opposed to rock walls on the back of tanks. I realize I would still need to seed the tank with live rock, and would do so by putting a bunch of live rock / rubble pieces in the sump.

If anyone has any first hand experience with these products please give me your insight. I have not been able to find any reviews.

Thanks.

I'm thinking that if you were patient, you could put your live rock in your sump and you should get plenty of microbes during the normal tank cycle.

I like the looks of those...might have to consider that and maybe combine with some MARCO rock. I'm kind of a dyed-in-the-wool rock wall kind of guy but I'm trying to break out of my mold.

It might be silly, but my main concern while I'm planning my tank is to create something that is found in nature. I've seen a few pictures of come columnar rock/reef formations that those ceramic rocks could be perfect for. I'm still trying to find some real life pictures of some non-rock wall or mound reef formations.

(edited)

I think it would be a lot easier to get good flow in the entire tank with the columns. I am constantly battling poor flow behind my "wall." Also, the spacing of the different "levels" allows for light penetration to all ledges of the rock. These will definately be on my list of things for a future tank. I am thinking man made rock, LED lights, and ORA/aquacultured frags. Would be both environmentally and economically efficient.

Edited by BowieReefer84

Sure will. I was even thinking cut the bottom of the columns completely flat (not sure how) and paint the underside of the bottom of the tank black. No sand in the tank with a remote DSB. Put some superglue gel to hold them in place. I want a CLEAN setup. Current tank holds all equipment since I do not have a sump and it really bothers me sometimes.

I think it would be a lot easier to get good flow in the entire tank with the columns. I am constantly battling poor flow behind my "wall." Also, the spacing of the different "levels" allows for light penetration to all ledges of the rock. These will definately be on my list of things for a future tank. I am thinking man made rock, LED lights, and ORA/aquacultured frags. Would be both environmentally and economically efficient.

I couldn't agree more. Have you seen any pictures of natural reef columns? I saw one or two on a RC thread about DIY rock but I haven't found any good pictures of reef columns for inspiration.

I think those look nice, but they are fairly expensive, especially for a big tank.. You could probably do the DIY rocks and design them exactly how you want them to your specs.. I know that lots of people have used them.. Ive made columns for my tank and am currently still using them, and it really isnt hard to do, and there are lots of way you can accomplish your goal..

I think those look nice, but they are fairly expensive, especially for a big tank.. You could probably do the DIY rocks and design them exactly how you want them to your specs.. I know that lots of people have used them.. Ive made columns for my tank and am currently still using them, and it really isnt hard to do, and there are lots of way you can accomplish your goal..

I am not able to "do it myself" due to lack of abilities. I dont plan on having a very large tank, and would get 2 tall and 1 short of those columns. I already have a tank that has been running for about 3 years with 50lbs of critter free liverock. I would use that in the sump. I really hate diy, especially when it gets messy like I am sure this type of work does. haha.