The Best Aquarium Controller

Mando77

I only have a 29 gallon tank, but I want this tank monitored. I want to know temp, ph and if and when the power fails. I also want the controller sending me emails and text. I was looking at the Neptune and Digital Aquatics controllers and plan on ordering one this week. I didn't know if spending money on the elite version would just be a waste of money because of the size of my tank or if I should just go with a Aqua Contoller Jr or Reef Keeper Lite. I've never had one of these and want to make sure I get the right one. So many options with these things. Comparing the two brands and models is driving me nuts.

(edited)

I only have a 29 gallon tank, but I want this tank monitored. I want to know temp, ph and if and when the power fails. I also want the controller sending me emails and text. I was looking at the Neptune and Digital Aquatics controllers and plan on ordering one this week. I didn't know if spending money on the elite version would just be a waste of money because of the size of my tank or if I should just go with a Aqua Contoller Jr or Reef Keeper Lite. I've never had one of these and want to make sure I get the right one. So many options with these things. Comparing the two brands and models is driving me nuts.

If you want notifications, you are looking at the Apex or the RKE w/ NET module. Assuming you do not want variable speed ports to control things like LED lights and DC pumps, I'll suggest the Apex Lite as a good fit for the features you are looking for.

Edited by hypertech

look into a used ACIII where a ethernet cabel plugs right in. there are always a few for sale here or RC wtih people switching to the APEX, only problem i have with the apex lite is no second PH probe port without and expansion, where the ACIII does, but i doubt your running a CA rx on that size tank.

ACJR you would need to use the serial2web software/have a computer set up for the controller to be able to send email alert

i dont have any experience with RK but ive been very happy with my ACIII and any problems ive had i had responses almost immediately.

they are definately not necessary but are nice to have especially when you travel

..... only problem i have with the apex lite is no second PH probe port without and expansion, where the ACIII does.....

Ok, I'm pleading total ignorance here...why do you need two PH probe ports? Are you measuring PH twice? Or are you using the probe port for something else?

Apex Lite is awesome. There are only couple differences between the lite and the apex full version.

One is the additional ph/orp port. The variable speed control if you plan to use tunze pumps etc and dimming feature for vho lights etc.

The variable speed control would not be a factor if you use vortech type of pumps and most of the newer leds on the horizon have dimming in them like the AI leds.

the extra ph port well I did not need it at the time so I went with the lite.

other than that there are no limitations with what the lite can do. they both have access to the same software with net access and same modules for expansion.

the RKL/RKE's are also nice. They have some features that the apex cannot do and vice versa. the Net module should be a lot more useful when they finish and release version 2 of their software management.

Whichever system you go with you will be happy with. they both are good.

if you are on a budget the RKL L1 can't be beat at $99.00. it gives you 4 power ports to control (PC4) and it gives you a temperature probe (iTemp) to monitor and control your heater.

But if you needed more from it then you would have to end up getting the additional modules like the SL1/SL2( for ph, ATO, orb, salinity etc) and another pc4 to control more outlets. if you want NET access thats another module you would need. by then you are in the same price point as the apex lite, which I think is tad superior to RKL due to a better display at the control.

The 2nd pH port is usually a pH/ORP port. You want to measure ORP if you are dosing ozone, you want to measure a 2nd pH usually when you're running a calcium reactor to measure the pH in the reaction chamber and control your CO2 input.

Ok, I'm pleading total ignorance here...why do you need two PH probe ports? Are you measuring PH twice? Or are you using the probe port for something else?

the extra port can be used per my reading for a few things. It can be used as an ORP or PH. Maybe a backup ph if you want some redundancy or I heard someone using it to control reactors. Idk I am not quite there yet in expertise levels to be sure.

I want a second ph port for my CA reactor chamber, not a necessity but its something i want.

you will usually see an ACIII for 300-325 with a DC8(8 power plugs) and probes (temp/ph that are used but usually still good and able to be calibrated).

Apex lite is nice but is right around 380 and i do not believe it comes with probes so it ends up being a little more. I would really like one but i am goign to take the funds i saved and put them into coral other equipment.

the display on the apex is really sweet and teh fact you can mound the display with a single cord away from where you plug everythign else in is very nice, acIII things plug into the display.

really you should write down what you need/want and just look at pricing. figure out what the cost is going to be for all you want to do. if you just want temp/control from phone, acjr/rkl should do you good.

for me the ACIII was the best choice, you hear alot of stories on both sides of customer service but im sold on neptune products at the moment.

I have the AC JR with ACserial2Web software. I am guessing it takes a little more patience to set up because the software is free, but the developer is very responsive and if you do your homework setup is very straight forward.

with my setup I can program it to send me emails with an attached image and I can also see video online. :)

All very useful. Thanks for the advice. I just really need to sit down and figure out what I really want. I figure If I'm going to spend $300 I might as well spend $400. I hate being limited, and with any type of technology you want to get something advanced.

All very useful. Thanks for the advice. I just really need to sit down and figure out what I really want. I figure If I'm going to spend $300 I might as well spend $400. I hate being limited, and with any type of technology you want to get something advanced.

I agree, it is going to come down to how much money you want to spend and what you want. If you spend 400 hundred might as well make it 500. :biggrin: I think you can get as expensive as you want with some of the controllers out there.

look into probes etc and how much they run, a lab grade probe is basically 70 bucks and then you need to think about your power supplies, dc8s, hd4s, etc all those little extra things add up quick and turn a 400 base purchase into 550 600 really quick.

I found with mine i had to run 2 hd expansions for my lights as they would interfere with the DC8 and shut off randomly, was really annoying but i guess that happens with some ballasts. now that they are on the cheap 2 socket expansion no problems what so ever.

I almost went with the apex instead of the ACIII but with all the things i needed to buy to get it running like a similarly functioning Apex it was about a 250 dollar difference. and if you can get a deal from someone with a used one you save even more.

IMO if you go neptune there is no need for aquanotes unless it comes with, i dont have it and dont ever plan to.

my only gripe is i cant say i have an apex, i mean i race cars so the name calls to me, HIT YOUR APEX i often yell to students