Nanotuner's PAR38 Users

Shadowbearwv

(edited)

I've been researching my 180g build. I think I found the tank and stand, so now onto lighting. I'd like the use 12 PAR 38s from Nanotuners.

The configuration

6 20000k

6 12000k

All with the 40 degree optics.

The tank dimensions will be 72x24x24. So the question I have:

Will the optics work for the 24" depth?

Will 12 be enough to cover the whole tank?

I'm think 4 in a square configuration with 3 squares.

I'm planning on sticking with a mixed reef with softies, LPS and SPS.

Thanks

Tony

Edited by Shadowbearwv

I have 3 tanks that use these bulbs- a 150 with 6, a 60 with 4, and a 210 with 8. The 24" depth certainly isn't an issue with 40 degree optics or even 60 degree optics. Since you're doing a 180, I'd recommend that you only use 8 with a mixture of 60's and 40's. 12 is simply overkill. Beeker on RC used 12 just light one half of his 200 and honestly I think he could've lit the entire tank with 8 if he had done a better job. His hanging track lighting leaves much to be desired too.

The 150 has them mounted directly into the top of the canopy, the 210 uses track lighting with 27" pendants, and my 60 uses the franken-fixture.

Would putting the 8 in a straight line work or should I think of another configuration? What I'm planning to do if I use them is get some sockets and wire them up, instead of using a light fixture. I want to have some control of when they turn on and off, having the more blue turn on for dusk and dawn. I have also though about using t5's to supplement the PAR38's or would this be overkill as well?

Thanks

Tony

If you want a dawn to dusk effect, get a Panorama 453nm strip from Ecoxotic. For a 180, I'd get 2 of these strips.

8 bulbs in a straight line will be sufficient. Using T5's is kinda pointless- if you're going with LED, it kinda seems silly to use old technology that uses more electricity and requires bulb replacement.

If you want a dawn to dusk effect, get a Panorama 453nm strip from Ecoxotic. For a 180, I'd get 2 of these strips.

8 bulbs in a straight line will be sufficient. Using T5's is kinda pointless- if you're going with LED, it kinda seems silly to use old technology that uses more electricity and requires bulb replacement.

Oh yea I totally forgot those where out there. Good advice thank ya.

Tony