live rock at my lfs

Guest bill33

Guest bill33

i went to my lfs and i got a saddelback clown for 12.50, and i asked they guy how much is the lr and he said 9 bucks a pound. he claims its ultra fiji and it has barely any coraline growth one of of every 3 pieces had very little coraline maybe a nickel size in few spots. he is scaming people

just curious how much is ultra fiji at your guys lfs?

Bill

BIll, send an email to DRMAC and see if he'll bring you some LR to the next meeting if you need it. Shipping will be free, and his rock is excellent and excellently priced.

Mike

Guest reverai
i went to my lfs and i got a saddelback clown for 12.50, and i asked they guy how much is the lr and he said 9 bucks a pound. he claims its ultra fiji  and it has barely any coraline growth one of of every 3 pieces had very little coraline maybe a nickel size in few spots.  he is scaming people

Bill

26384[/snapback]

The ReefTank has OK live rock for $3.95 pound and if you more than 50 pounds it goes down to $3.75 per pound. It's not as good of live that I bought from from a member here by far for $3 per pound though. I wouldn't say the local guy somewhat out of the way charges more for live rock. It costs him more and I would guess business isn't all that great either. I stopped at a LFS in Fargo and the live rock was even more. Though it's live rock was great!

Steve

The ReefTank has OK live rock for $3.95 pound and if you more than 50 pounds it goes down to $3.75 per pound. It's not as good of live that I bought from from a member here by far for $3 per pound though. I wouldn't say the local guy somewhat out of the way charges more for live rock. It costs him more and I would guess business isn't all that great either. I stopped at a LFS in Fargo and the live rock was even more. Though it's live rock was great!

Steve

26397[/snapback]

the best coraaline encrusted LR i got was from liveaquaria.com which was a wamas raffle i have won. the second best was from reefotto when he broke his system down. had tons of tube worms on it.

Guest bill33

i was going to pay up to 5 a pound

anyone here have a mated pair of saddle backs?

You know what's crazy.

When I got my live rock, no shops in the in the tri-state area sold it yet.

I got my live rock fresh from FL in the spring of 1988. I had a buddy in Key West box up close to 200 # in 6 crates and load them on a plane billed to my floral air frieght acct. It cost me a whopping $63.00. He went off the island in the am to gather it up and I picked it up at IAD in the late afternoon and was home before dinner.

Guest bill33

15 a pound people on wamas that have huge systems will empty there wallets more then 5 grand

i got some florida rock from e tropicals and its awsome

Bill,

If you still need LR, I've got about 10-15# that I could give you at $3.50. I've got more than that in it, but it's heavily covered in Coralline Algae. LMK, you can p/u this weekend?

Howard

703-899-6209.

Guest bill33

is it cured or i have to cure it? how far do you live from the ice rink that we met at?

Bill,

I'm at 2927 Rogers Dr, Falls Church 22042, just inside the Beltway 495 off Rt 50East.

Very much cured, Coralline Algae, great color, etc. I just stuck it in my sump with 50w Light on. Will place back in main tank tonight for you if you want it, about the size of a flatten football. Also some others smaller pieces.

Howard

Guest reverai
im not going to be able to make the meeting, so when is best for you

26523[/snapback]

By the way, the live rock that Howard has is very good live rock. I wish I had a need for right now!

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
15 a pound  people on wamas that have huge systems will empty there wallets more then 5 grand

i got some florida rock from e tropicals  and its awsome

26421[/snapback]

When I first got started, the place that sold us our LR charged $12 a pound for tonga branch and $9 a pound for fiji. We knew nothing about it. After someone looked at a picture of my rock they informed me that not only did I pay enormous amounts of money but that my rock was bare and I got jipped bigtime.

I've learned my lesson.

Guest Leishman

The rock from the Reef Tank is awsome.

You just need to be there when it arrives or it will be cherry picked (I just cherry picked 100lbs there in the last 3 weeks).

If you are not there when Mike picks it up, you will only see the left over rubble. His best stuff stays in the store for hours before it's gone.

The 100lbs I just got is only 6 rocks (large, not dense. They barely fit in a 39g trash can)

Rik

Guest reverai

>If you are not there when Mike picks it up, you will only see the left over rubble. His best stuff stays in the store for hours before it's gone.<

You can say that again! They will tell you went they expect to get live rock in. And they're good about making time for you too. It takes some planning but I've help two friends be there within a few minute of when they put the live rock in the tank. It's good live rock is all I can say!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LadyHawke
i went to my lfs and i got a saddelback clown for 12.50, and i asked they guy how much is the lr and he said 9 bucks a pound. he claims its ultra fiji  and it has barely any coraline growth one of of every 3 pieces had very little coraline maybe a nickel size in few spots.  he is scaming people

Bill

26384[/snapback]

Bill,

I live in Fredericksburg and know the shop you are talking about. They have outright lied to me on several occasions and don't even get me started on how rude the owner's wife is. The last time I went in there their shelves and tanks were pretty bare. I am wondering if they are going to go out of business soon.

My problem is, I don't know of any other marine shops around here. I am in desperate need for some more live rock and I have no idea as to where to get some, other than ordering online. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dawn

Guest reverai

There are several people in the "for sale" area selling cured live rock for much less than $9 per pound. Check it out as it might be worth a drive~~

Steve