Rubbermaid Containers

Nemesis84

Is there any particular type of Rubbermaid containers that work best for mixing 40 or so gals of salt water? What I mean is, are there different plastics and I should use food grade or something. Thanks, Frank

A stock tank sucks for mixing, the 50 gallon is shallow and not good to use. You can use the Brute trash cans as they are very strong and you can add the wheels, but there is conflicting information on what fungicides are contained in the plastic. You can also get old barrels that will do the job just as well as any of these items.

The brute trash cans do contain something that killed the coral plankton in project seacore last fall. There is a thread in here about that somewhere started by Mike who participated in the project.

That being said, I have never heard of any complaints from people using them for mixing containers and I bet the 44 gallon brute is the most popular solution in the hobby for that size range. I have two. Just rinse and soak them first. Bleaching them might be a good idea too. Just rinse and soak I in fresh water after the bleach before you use it.

Sometimes you see group buys on the local club forums for 50 gallon pickle barrels or some other food container that they are getting from a local food supplier. I have not seen one of those threads in a while though.