Outdoor "Pond"?

davelin315

Anyone ever keep live stuff outside during the summer months? I'm thinking of taking some of the rock from tanks at school and consolidating them in a tub outside my house for the summer, possibly even tossing the fish in there, too. I figured that if they are somewhere cooler they should be able to do OK as long as the rain doesn't pour into them. Anyone ever do anything like this? I was thinking it would be interesting to see how it does if I try this.

BIG tub?? I'd worry about temperature extremes. But it would make a good experiment.

bob

If you go out and get a cheaper green house it would work and be a cool expirment I've seen them on the sides of houses growing plants all winter!

Temp control is the biggest issue. If it is just rock and a few fish, I would put it under a simple white fiberglass corrugated roof, which will let a little light in. You can buy it at home depot. Or use the smoked polycarbonate to block most light. This shade plus a simple fan should keep it cool. You may need to heat at night. A dual stage ranco would be useful.

I can't believe there is more corals then that will fit in your big ponds behind your tank! Anyway I would get the school tanks on timers and check them once every 3 days!

speaking of ponds, I still have your 50g tub. Can you send me your addy so I can drop it off? FWIW, this tub would make an easy experiment...