Royal Gramma

WaterDog

So I added a royal gramma to the tank last night, and they're supposed to be easy fish. I couldn't find him last night, and I kind of dismissed it since they are somewhat secretive. Then when I feed the tank, I see him, and he's not looking good. The fish looks extremely stressed, and it looks like someone nipped at his back dorsal fin (the one without the spot). He ate, which is a good sign, but I'm wondering if it's just traveling stress or a bully. I'm kind of leaning towards the six-line, since I know they can be bullies. I have another fish that's in the QT ready to go into the main tank. Should I let the gramma settle in more or should I bring the other fish up to spread the aggression around? Or does someone need to go?

I have a 6 line and a gama in a 29 and they do fine. They do pick on one another some, but nothing serious. The gamma does need to have a spot where he can hide or feel comfortable. You will just have to watch. What other fish do you have in there that are aggresive?

I have a 6 line and a gama in a 29 and they do fine. They do pick on one another some, but nothing serious. The gamma does need to have a spot where he can hide or feel comfortable. You will just have to watch. What other fish do you have in there that are aggresive?

The 6 line is probably the only remotely aggressive fish. There's a pair of ocellaris clowns, but they generally just stay near their anemone, which isn't where the gramma's hanging out.

I am sure it was the six line as mine beats up most fish that go in the tank with it.

What fish is ready to come out of QT?

A flasher wrasse that's probably 2 times the size of the six line