LED Reef light purchase

reefmaster5

From the recent topics, It seems as if this is the time to discuss LED systems.

I just moved to the area and in the process of setting up my 120 gal reef (4'x2'x2'). I have a Dutch Aquarium Systems custom tank and want to ditch the VHOs for LED. A local retailer turned me on to a WAMAS member who builds LED systems (see thread below).

http://www.reefaddic...build?#comments

It is a well written article and I plan on buying a custom system from him but want your feedback and recommendation for the system and mounting. It needs to remain about a foot from the water surface (no high mounting) since the hood of the tank is fixed.

Why not ask the local experts and get to know a few members while at it? I definitely will go LED and need the capability to maintain SPS for eventual fragging. I'm a big believer in home-grown sharing.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Edited by reefmaster5

welcome to WAMAS, you have found a very cool place to find info and friends.

Robert makes some great fixtures and can customize them to your tank or needs, i have been running one of his LED fixtures for a few months now and could not be happier with it, the fish and corals all look happy. So if you looking for possitive feedback, he definitely has my vote.

ps you are welcome to come and check out my tank or find it in tank threads.

I dont have one of his custom systems however I have been running a AquaIlluminations LED system on my tanks for over a year now and could not be happier.

Here's a blurb from Evilc66 from Michigan Reefers about the use of the PAR38's-

To anyone entertaining the thought of using these lamps, forget everything you know about lighting an aquarium. The quicker you do that, the easier it is to use these lights. They create such a different effect, and are so positionable, that you can't just say that you need X lamps for Y area. Get creative. Think of it like lighting a statue. You wouldn't hang a shop light over it and call it good, would you? No. You would position spotlights around it and have them shine on different areas to highlight certain features. Consider your rockwork in much the same way. It's not that good of an example with the "wall of rock" look, but if you have peaks or towers in your rock, take advantage of the features. You now also don't need to think about low, medium and high light areas going from bottom to top of the tank. Now you can have lower or higher light areas wherever you want them.