Questions about DIY LED

cabrego

Hi all,

I am considering supplementing my current set up (2x 175 W and 2 65 PC Actinic) with LEDs. My primary objective is to add additional Actinic supplementation and if feasible additional "white" light too. I am not opposed to completley removing the current actinics if required althought that would probably require more LEDs to compensate..

First of all,I am posting because I would like to know if this is feasible, how many LEDs I would require (with or without the current actinics), if someone could point me to a good DIY thread I would appreciate that. I know someone here had an article on a different forum but I can't remember who it was or where it was located.

I would also like to know if heat from the MH could be a deal breaker, I don't have a lot of space so I thought LEDs might be a good options, but I might be better off going with T5s w/SLR.

Thanks,

Current USA powerbrites are really nice for actinic and end up running your around 100.

Im sure it can be done for cheaper and i would be interested as well (also want to add a little moonlight as well if i could get an ACIII to be able to dim it like the moonlights neptune sells just cheaper)

But the currents have some really nice blue to them and are pretty bright.

I am in the process of replacing my actinic florescents with LEDs. I am using 2 CoralVue 14 X 1 watt 18" supplements on my corner 50 gallon tenecor aquarium. I am running 2 48" reefbrite LEDs on my 90. Totally replacing all florescents. Check out reefbuilders for great LED information.

thanks for the replies guys. I am still having trouble finding an article that I thought one of the WAMAS members wrote.

How much do you guys think it would cost to do a DIY LED (only actinic supplementation) across a 4 ft tank? i believe I can get DIY T5s (2x48") for around 130 or so.

Well, I think I am going to try these out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-60-LED-Moonlight-Aquarium-Moon-Light-Power-Supply_W0QQitemZ250605963586QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a59478942

They are not to expensive and it come with 60 LED's.

Will these be noticable on top of 175w halides? I really would like a little more blue light on top of my 10000k MHs.