Flame Hawkfish

Novi

Smoked my SPS frags I got last weekend. Came home and noticed they were lookin pretty darn terrible and then I saw it..... He just came up and purched and preceded to just pluck over and over and over while I just watched and took it..... I thought these guys were reef safe?/?!!!!

I have a flamehawk that perches on the corals and even eats food that might have fallen onto the corals, but I've never seen or even heard of one actually eating corals. Maybe if your corals are producing excess mucous from something else, I guess it's possible that the flame is eating the mucous and it looks like it's eating the coral.

I dunno... I have two Acropora frags that were once blue/purple and now there turning white and he's pluckin what appears to be its skin right off it and eating it.

I have had my flame for 3+ years in my tank. He has never eaten anything other than the food that I put in there. It has to be something else going on IMO

I have a Green Birdsnest and also a Green Slimer. Both seem to be doing fine.

Water Parameters are fine. Tested everything tonight. I dunno.... Just the Acropora frags looked picked apart and are turning white. Could it be I bleached them with my lighting and he picked off fried skin? I run T5's but I also have the ATI Powermodule which some will say out performs 250W Halides? Daylights on for 7 hours a day and actinics on for 9. I keep my lights about 8 inches off the water. The frags were halfway down so figure 15-18" away.....

Everything else is thriving.

If the hawkfish was eating the flesh, it probably wouldn't be turning white but would be slowly discoloring. The fact that you say it's white and the flesh is peeling off suggests RTN to me. My guess is the coral will be gone in a few hours at most. How did you acclimate and what is "fine" as far as parameters are concerned? Also, are these fresh cut frags or established on a plug?

Some were fresh cut, and some were established. What causes Rapid Tissue Loss?

Parametrs:

S.G. = 1.024

Ammonia = 0

Nitrates = 0

Nitrites = 0

PH = 8

Phos = 0

Alk = 8.1dkh

Cal = 400

Mag = 1280

I just Temp acclimate all my new corals.

Are Flame Hawks tank bullies? Wife just called me and told me my Lawnmower Blenny was dead laying on the bottom of the sand so she scooped him out. She said there appeared to be a chunk missing from him. I saw the Flame Hawk nippin at thim the other day.... What MAN!!!

My flame doesn't bother any of my fish. I have had a lawnmower in there for the last 3 years too. You might have a gorilla crab of some type in the tank. I had lost about 5 fish till i found him and yanked him out. His shell at the time was about the size of a half dollar. Did you buy rock from someone else when you set the tank up?

My flame doesn't bother any of my fish. I have had a lawnmower in there for the last 3 years too. You might have a gorilla crab of some type in the tank. I had lost about 5 fish till i found him and yanked him out. His shell at the time was about the size of a half dollar. Did you buy rock from someone else when you set the tank up?

No its the flame because I've seen it happen. Plus I have read they are Pitbulls of the tank. Some times you luck out though and get a docile one. Yours was the reason i bought one because I liked it so much.

I got all of my rock from Bulk Reef Supply Fiji Dry Rox so I KNOW for a fact there are no gorrilla crabs or anything of that nature in my tank. Hence the reason I went that route.

They can be aggressive but I think that it's more typical for them to eat inverts. Fish, however, each have different personalities and even the most docile of species can have mean individuals and vice versa.

As far as the RTN, there is no real proof as to what the exact cause is, most likely it's a combination of causes.