tank prob

wirick21

You won't believe what happened to me!!  My nono cube was running great.  It was set up for about a week.  Then I get a call from my wife she says water is shooting out of the tank she gets shocked try to turn it off (she is ok) the light burst power strip is toast!  I got home about an hour or so later and the elbow came off the bulkhead so now I am bumming because I have to redo everything and spend about another 150 to 200 dollars for a new light.  Thought you guys might find this intresting and would feel my pain!  

Thanks for reading

Brian

Guest Moa

150-200 for new lighting?  couldn't have been stock right; was it MH?  if you have powercompacts there are some inexpensive retrofits for the nanocube that have been done by a bunch of people over at www.nano-reef.com.  a lot of folks have gotten their lighting for the nanocube from hellolights.com.  if you do a search for nanocube and ligh* you will find a bunch of info.  (i think i've seen posts with some people spending less than $40 on nanocube lighting.)  best of luck and sorry that you had the prob.  perhaps a zip tie on that elbow might keep it on a bit tighter.

-Joe

I found the 96 watt pc retrofit kit at hello and that fish place for $120.  So not as bad as I thought.  I am also going to change the whole water return.  I am not sure what I am going to do just yet.  I will keep you posted on my progress.  1 question though is 96 watts enough light for sps?  Thanks again for any input is very thankful.

Brian

Guest Moa

Don't know about SPS.  I use stock lighting on my cube and just do softies.  (Everything is doing very very well under the stock lights, too.)

Check out this WAMAS member's Nano: Brooklyn Johnny's Nano

One of the concerns I've read with 96W on a Nanocube is heat.  Again, nano-reef.com has some great info on fan options for a Nanocube. Of course, then you have evaporation concerns which means you're looking at a possible auto-top off. . . .

Best of luck.  -Joe

Guest cjm033

ive seen peole keep sps and clams sucessfully under a 96 quad in a 10 gal.

-Chris

I think 96w over 10g would be fine for some of the easy SPS.  I have 230w over a 33g and have 5 diffrent SPSs

how did the bulkhead come off?  do you have a sump for the tank?  also look at hellolights.com and a few of the other sites in our links for the best deal on lighting.

Don't know about SPS.  I use stock lighting on my cube and just do softies.  (Everything is doing very very well under the stock lights, too.)

Check out this WAMAS member's Nano: Brooklyn Johnny's Nano

One of the concerns I've read with 96W on a Nanocube is heat.  Again, nano-reef.com has some great info on fan options for a Nanocube. Of course, then you have evaporation concerns which means you're looking at a possible auto-top off. . . .

Best of luck.  -Joe

A more recent thread with a bunch of info on my nano can be found here (10 gallon kitchen nano).

I used 2x36 watt PCs right on top of the water of this 10 gallon, and had the refugium above with a fan running with the lights. The tank temp never went above 83. The tank saw much success with sps and clams as documented, but there are many issues you have to overcome BEYOND the lighting. Many people run into problems in small tanks and many times erroniously blame lighting. Browned out and RTNed sps are not always the result of insufficient lighting. Hope that helps...

Johnny

I got the 96 watt retro yesterday.  I put the light in today and am going to re do the pump tomorrow. I can not wait to get the tank going again.  I can't wait till the next frag party because I have fraged anything before.  I have several that need to be fraged and hope to trade so I can get my nano going.

Brian :D

Guest reverai

I order 32 watt retro light for my Nano Cube when stock ballast blew. I'll add both when the ballast comes in next week. Where do you live brian? I may have a bit of extra live rock and sand as I order some zoas ect that come with rock and so I will need to get rid of some since I order four differernt kinds of things...

Steve

Steve,

I live in Bristow VA.  That sounds great. I had to work late today so I will not be messing with the tank till tomorrow.

Brian

I put 32 watt PC in the hood of my Nano Cube along with the stock 24 Watt PC. It was a tight fit but It works and improved the looks and softies growth a lot- I have no SPS in the Nano- I agree with water changes on these guys though- I do about 1 gal twice a week when ever I am making water for my other tanks. What are folks doing to get more surface agitation? I have to skim the surface about every other day.

Guest greatwit
I have a hob filter(actually old skilter with no media or skimmer) in my nano to increase water volume and provide flow and surface agitation. A powerhead near the surface can also provide needed surface water movement.

Guest Moa

Lee,

For agitation, a lot of folks use a flare nozzle on the nanocube pointing toward the surface.  I used a 3/4" to 1/2" locline piece that connects the bulkhead output to a flare nozzle.  With the Locline connection I can direct the flow upwards at a good angle.  ANother option is to just put the magfloat in front of the output from the nanocube and angle it so that it directs the flow upward. HTH

-Joe