Skimming a nano?

Guest Moa

Guest Moa

I recently spent some time checking out the DIY forum on nano-reef.com.  A few have worked on some DIY skimmers for a nano.  I've read the concerns regarding 'over-skimming' but wonder if a nano-sized skimmer might have some real utility.  In fact, AquaC, is supposedly coming out with a Nano Remora in August.

Here is a pic and plan for a DIY skimmer that I found interesting:

Nano Skimmer Photo

Nano Skimmer Plan

I read Michael's specs on his ( :)  excuse me, his daughter's) 10g and he has a healthy tank with just monthly water changes.  This seems to argue against the need for a skimmer as long as there is a light bioload.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts from others.  Might there be real utility to a nano skimmer?  ???

-Joe

Not sure I'd call the bio-load light to be honest.  While there is only 1 fish, it is packed with corals, and probably overfed.  I did run a skimmer on it initially- it was a small air driven skimmer that sits in the tank.  The tiny skimmer was driven by a tetra luft pump, and I had to empty the cup of wet foam daily.  After a while, I pulled the skimmer to see how things would do, and so no adverse effects from doing so, thus I left it off.  The one component that a skimmer provides, that is difficult to replace- especially without the use of a sump, is the heavy airation.  I don't quite understand though why if people want a skimmer on a small tank, they don't just make a small platform for the tank to raise it up a bit- thus allong something like a backpack skimmer to fit.  Properly supported, this would also give a little cubby hole to keep things like food and a test kit or 2.

FWIW,

Michael

Guest Moa

Michael, thanks so much; I think you make some excellent points regarding overfeeding. First regarding overfeeding: whether eaten or not, the food is going to break down and create the same waste, right?  (My 'newbieness' shows through pretty quickly).  Seems like with a nano the concerns with overfeeding would be that much greater especially if there isn't a skimmer running.  As a newbie, I'm continuing to try and figure out how much the tank actually needs to be fed and I think I tend to err on overfeeding. Second, regarding aeration: I use a flare nozzle directed upwards to disrupt surface tension and try to increase gas exchange but worry that might not be enough.  A skimmer seems like it would do a great job at increasing aeration.

Be interested in the opinion of those with DIY experience regarding the plans I linked to.  I am leaning heavily toward getting a skimmer, but wonder if building one might be worthwhile (vs waiting on the Nano Remora coming out soon).

Regarding the shelf to give extra room for the skimmer: I've seen some shots of folks who've done this and made it look pretty good. And, hey, who couldn't use an extra cubby!  :)  I really like the simple look of my tank (which sits on my office at work) and so am interested in a nano sized skimmer that might 'hide' more readily.  From a recent email from AquaC it sounds like there will be a commercial nano-sized skimmer soon.

-Joe

Just looked at that skimmer.  Cool design.  Uses the box-baffle principle for the basic skimmer body, which is easy to put together, then an air-injection principle with the spray bar- similar to an aquaC.  I find it interesting that such a small pump can be used though with the spray bar.  I think I just may put one together in the fall to use for a grow out tank.  Thanks for the links.  Send them to Aquariareview and ask him to add them to our links page.  Or just start a thread on Website issues titled New URL's.  Then others can tag them on there as well, and all of us will be updated about cool threads.

Michael

Guest Moa

Thanks for checking out the design.  You're thumbs up makes me that much more interested in trying it.  Regarding the small pump, I've read thru the whole thread (all 15 pages!) and it seems that if a larger pump is used that it actually overpowers the skimmer.

I'll send on the links as well.

Thanks again,

Joe

Joe,

Do you know what they are using for the spray bar?  Are we talking something with holes drilled in it or a nozzle... ala AquaC?  I just happen to have some 1/8" clear acrylic on hand and might make one for a 12" cube that is also my daughters tank.  :)

It seems the spray bar is just a piece of PVC with some holes drilled in it.  There is an air hole in the chamber where this is located to allow air to be mixed in with the air.  No sort of venturi.  Most type of nozzles I have seen create a lot of back pressure and would need a much bigger pump.  Joe, sounds like you did a lot of reading!  Can you post  the important info also contained in that thread about the design?

Guest Moa
The spraybar was 1/2" CPVC (I believe it was a pi9ece of about 2/5") with 3 1/8" holes (I'm going off of memory here but think that's right.)  The DIY'er who made the design found that any kind of pump that had some oomph (my term), eg a MaxiJet 400, shot the water/bubbles down too far. He mentions a 90gph pump on his (an Aquaclear Hi-Spec 1000) skimmer.  I think the photo link in my original post shows the skimmer in action.  He didn't mention anything about back pressure probs and the photo seems to show some pretty good bubble action from the force of the jets.  His pic I've linked to is a scaled drawing. On page 10 of the thread there is a pic of him holding the lid to the skimmer--it is really tiny!  Also, originally he planned on putting this in a sump and just cutting off the bottom but I haven't read about anyone trying this.  There are mutiple reports of folks successfully putting it together. HTH -Joe

Guest Moa
Zoinks! I wrote that previous reply too quickly.  the piece of CPVC was 2 1/2" not 2/5".