Nano tank

mling

I have a 45 Gal tank that has is 3 mths old and I have just bought a 16 G to be a Nano Tank.   What are the differences in the setup of the 2 tanks ?  Do I need a skimmer for a 16 G ?  Do I need compact lighting for a reef tank with only fishes and inverts or would the fluorescent that came with the tank suffice ?  Can a Nano tank have a DSB ?

here is the rundown on my 10 gallon-

1. 2-3 inches of sand

2. skimmerless

3. couple powerheads for water movement

4. PC lighting (72 watts total)- still need the lights for the inverts.

5. water changes- small but regular.

6. it took a little longer to settle in- maybe 5 months or so until algae bloom when through.

Guest Moa
I am new to the hobby/obsession and am in the process of setting up a jbj nanocube.  i've found the nano-reef.com very helpful.  folks in the forums answer questions readily and there is some great info on (appropriately enough) the information page on setting up and maintaining a nano.

Guest Moa
That is a very cool tank. (I had checked out your post earlier.)  I love the mod with the skimmer on the back.  Has it changed much since April?  Am seriously enjoying mine, though have kept my setup much simpler and am slowly adding to it. A lot of fun!

Guest cjm033

on a 16 youll eventually wanna keep a reef trust me everyone says just fish only with a few shrimp n such. if i were you id go with the 96 watt quad and you could keep a pretty decient range of corals. for skimmer you dont need one but you could do one if you wanted (a cheap red sea prism would work if you want one really bad) for a dsb you could do one but i wouldnt. for water changes do like 10-20% weekly.

nanos are awsome tanks and not alot of work at all if you know what your doing, and do everything right.

this is my 2.5 gallon, i just have a small hob filter and a mini fuge/sump made from a specimen container to hold extra lr,my heater, and my thermometer (i added some macro too).i do small weekly waterchanges on it and feed / add supplements every other days. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery....2044356

-Chris