14G BioCube nano reef

monkeydad

I had a water crisis, under topic "new to the hobby" please help water help please...

I thought I would chronicle my nano life here.

Stock BQ 14G with a Fluval heater. One additional small water jet mounted directly under the stock water injector blowing in the opposite direction.

Fiji live rock, live sand.

1 Blue knuckle, three hermits, couple of snails.

1 plate coral LPS

1 frag green star polyp

a few mushrooms

2 shrimp

1 percula

1 yellow tail blue damsel

After the tank cycle initially, I started with cleanup crew. After a week, mushrooms. After another week shrimp (died). Another week, torch coral (returned-was not happy in my tank) and plate coral. Then the two fish.

Deaths: Several hermits-a murderer in the midst. Removed. Snail.

I had what looks like another "cycle" happen over the last two days. Still ongoing. I'm changing water, added some Cycle.

Pic of what it looks like now below.

I'm very glad to be a member and I can't wait to see how things progress. I'm looking forward to learning so much.

you did a very nice job with the aquascape. t looks great! I'm not so sure you completed your cycle. Did you get diatoms, pods or anything? Do you hear any clicking sounds coming from the rocks? Some folks have had mantis shrimp hitch on the rock. They will definately feast on your cleaners.

I had a water crisis, under topic "new to the hobby" please help water help please...

I thought I would chronicle my nano life here.

Stock BQ 14G with a Fluval heater. One additional small water jet mounted directly under the stock water injector blowing in the opposite direction.

Fiji live rock, live sand.

1 Blue knuckle, three hermits, couple of snails.

1 plate coral LPS

1 frag green star polyp

a few mushrooms

2 shrimp

1 percula

1 yellow tail blue damsel

After the tank cycle initially, I started with cleanup crew. After a week, mushrooms. After another week shrimp (died). Another week, torch coral (returned-was not happy in my tank) and plate coral. Then the two fish.

Deaths: Several hermits-a murderer in the midst. Removed. Snail.

I had what looks like another "cycle" happen over the last two days. Still ongoing. I'm changing water, added some Cycle.

Pic of what it looks like now below.

I'm very glad to be a member and I can't wait to see how things progress. I'm looking forward to learning so much.

Hermits will kill other hermits and snails to steal thier shells... while you can't avoid it compleltly you can give them extra shells that they can use...

Jan,

I think you are spot on. I had several issues after my initial LR cycle. My tank is so small, I don't think there is a predator because while there are some nooks/crannies, they are so small any predator in them would not be big enough-I think! Time will tell and I will keep an eye out.

1) I stocked faster than the beneficial bacteria could keep up to maintain zero amonia/nitrite/nitrate. I have learned that after each livestock addition, I need to allow the 'biofilter' to catch up to the new level of waste production/organic matter, then repeat. I now know that stocking tank can take months, not weeks.

2) I overfed. Massively overfed as it turns out.....

3) As Jan said, while my LR may have cycled, my tank needed more time to mature fully before adding any livestock.

gmubeach,

I think that is exactly what happened. I placed spare shells in the tank.

Yes I no longer keep hermits in my tanks for that reason..if I do put in hermits I put in hawian lefthanded zebra hermits they are the smallest.

• 7 months later...

Here is the tank after another nine months. This is what it grew to before I recently started taking it down for a move to Phoenix. As you can see, the GSP was really taking over!

I put in a Tunes wave pump (the magnetic/wireless one) really awesome.

A small Koralia steady pump

Upgraded the stock main pump to a 900gpm one

BioCube skimmer

Bag of carbon changed regularly

Changed the back actinic to a 50/50 white/actinic

I can't wait until we settled into our new house and set up a (much) larger system.

Thanks for all the help!

post-2632390-12901114623_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That tank looks great man. I hope the move goes good i just moved into my first house and i know how it is moving is not fun at all. What size tank are you thinking about upgrading to.

-Chance-