Bulb Question

jrok

(edited)

I am upgrading my halides from 150w to 250w, I have already bought 14k phoenix bulbs under the impression that I could use them with an electronic (icecap) ballast. Evidently I was wrong, at least that is what I was told. So I am looking for an electronic hqi bulb that is similar in color to the phoenix 14k...Any sugestions?

Edited by engine71

I am confused, are you trying to run 250w bulbs with a 150w ballast? Or, did you upgrade your ballast to an Icecap 250w ballast and the bulbs will not fire?

(edited)

No I havent bought the 250w ballast yet. I had 150's and I'm upgrading everything to 250's. I bought the bulbs a few months ago, but had to wait until now to get the rest of the equipment. I was going to go with the icecap ballast but I was told that the electronic ballast will not drive the phoenix bulb correctly, So I wanted opinions on a electronic de bulb with a color similar to the phoenix.

Edited by engine71

(edited)

I don't understand why the Icecap ballast (electronic) would not drive your Phoenix HQI bulbs...seems like it would work for you...I have a 250w Icecap Electronic Ballast and although I am running SE MH bulbs, I've fired up different brands. From what I've googled, Phoenix bulbs work with HQI or electronic ballasts...

Manufacturer's claim that you should use their bulbs to ensure proper color, so don't get confused by their marketing scheme.

I did have a Magnetic ballast before that would not fire up other bulbs, and so I got the Icecap Electronic ballast, so I kind of know where you are coming from, but again, I am running SE MH, not HQI.

Ice Cap's 250W Ballast:

http://www.icecapinc.com/250-mh-electronic-ballast

Edited by John

Thats what I thought as well. I read up on it and Icecap says there ballast will power these bulbs so I was going to go that route, But I was told by a fellow reefer (that has alot more experience than me) that they wouldn't perform well on the icecap vs the magnetic BW. So I was all kinda confused. Thats why I figured I would just get a bulb that was designed for an electrionic ballast and sell or return the phoenix bulbs.

Well, "performing well" and not working at all are two different things...your buddy may have been using older equipment or something. I'm sure someone out there is running Pheonix HQI bulbs, so hopefully someone else will chime in with their experience.

Good Luck!

250W Phoenix 14K's HQI will work fine with an 250W Icecap ballast. I have run them myself in this configuration. The color is excellent.

Some magnetic ballasts may overdrive the bulb, but electronic ballasts will do well. You won't be disappointed.

Thats what I thought as well. I read up on it and Icecap says there ballast will power these bulbs so I was going to go that route, But I was told by a fellow reefer (that has alot more experience than me) that they wouldn't perform well on the icecap vs the magnetic BW. So I was all kinda confused. Thats why I figured I would just get a bulb that was designed for an electrionic ballast and sell or return the phoenix bulbs.

Nonsense. I am using phoenix lamps with reef fanatic electronic ballasts. Great look, excellent growth.

Phoenix Bulbs rock for those who want more blue and less yellow. I have them in my new IceCap Reef Illumination MH/T5 fixtures. I love them.

(edited)

..... But I was told by a fellow reefer (that has alot more experience than me) that they wouldn't perform well on the icecap vs the magnetic BW. .....

Your friend is right, if he was advising an HQI magnetic ballast to generate the highest PAR, but there is a downside to such a selection: more power consumed, more heat generated, potentially shorter bulb life, etc. Some numbers from Sanjay's testing of Phoenix:

Phoenix HexArc 250W 14000K DE 1 PFO 250W HQI (M80) PAR 88 Watts 325 volts 122 amps 2.85

Phoenix HexArc 250W 14000K DE 1 Icecap 250W Electronic PAR 73 Watts 250 volts 122 amps 2.3

If you like to play with the ballast bulb combination tables, head over here:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting

Personally, I don't find the HQI ballast trade offs to be worth it for any bulbs other then 150wt.

Cheers.

Edited by traveller7

Thanks everyone!! Thats the answer I was looking for. I realy like my phoenix bulbs on my 150w set up and I wanted to stay with the same bulb when I upgraded, But I didnt want to go with a 250w magnetic ballast.