Flow Reccomendations for 12g

BrendanG

(edited)

Well, I'm about to undergo the process of updating, upgrading, improving; (whatever you want to call it) my 12gallon Nano. All reefkeepers are familiar with this aspect of the hobby.

After a 2 day power outage in my neighborhood during the Epic Snowstorm, I've slowly begun replacing many of my colonies that melted due to the big freeze, and now its on to the equipment.

I'm suffering from

Deadspots...

Deadspots in a 12 Gallon Aquarium

Deadspots in a 12 Gallon Aquarium with a back Wall loaded with rockwork, and a keeper whose anal about excess equipment in the tank

I hate seeing my K Nano - still trying to get over it

Its a Zoanthid dominate tank, relatively low flow, but I'm tired of detritus settling on sections of my sand bed.

I'm Running a K nano 240gph? and a Maxijet 900 Return.

Recommendations?

Is an MP10 the best course of action?

Ive never used one, any recommendations? things I should know before hand? any necessary attachments, requirements ect?

A Maxi Jet 1200 is definitely needed (anyone have one)

For the Price, is the MP10 Worth it?

A K1 is Large and Bulky in a 12g Tank

Am I better off adding a second K Nano?

or does it sound like I need to bite the Bullet

Is there Rumors of a New K Series coming out???

Edited by BrendanG

An MP10 would be serious overkill in a 12g tank. But, they are adjustable, so it probably could be done.

What kind of 12g? Is this an all in one tank? When I had a biocube, I cut a hole in the overflow area and mounted a 6025 in the back. The whole powerhead was hidden. I've seen similar things done with a koralia so that it looks just like an MP 10 sort of where only the front half is sticking out into the tank.

MP10 would not be serious overkill, you can regulate the flow and the settings to suit your needs, looks good, works great and does not take too much space from your already small nano.

Is it worth the price = Yes

i just got my second one from coralsmania and i could not be happier with them.

Its a Current USA 12 Gallon Aquapod

The only space where I could see Cutting a part of my back wall would be in the first chamber (Wiers) and thats where I happen to keep all My Carbon

El Camaron!

anything I need to know before I undergo a possible purchase?

I've skimmed over the PDF start up guide, is it relatively user friendly? I'm assuming I'd use it on the Lower Scale of he Lagoon Setting, Random Flow.

How much can I really tone this bad boy down, 12g is Preeeeeetttyyyy small for a pump that can put out 1575gph...

I don't want a Tsunami!!!

+1 MP10

in my 6G I went with the long Loc-line with nozzles along it's length so it flows into under around the back of my rock. twistable and adjustable so you can move it around - highly recommend but won't give you the wave action of an MP10- maybe locline + a small wavemaker and pumps?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Loc_Line_1_2_inch_Ball_Socket_Circle_Flow_Assy_1_2_Inch_Loc_Line_Plumbing_Parts-Loc_Line-LL1131-FIFTLLHI-vi.html

In my experience with an A-12, I've found that by removing a few things, makes the system work much better.

I cut the sponge in half, removed the loc line from the original pump, and removed half of the cerapore. If you want more flow, use the next size up from the OEM return pump and put it in the big chamber with a thru hole for the output.

My A-12 has been running for nearly 2 years like this and it grows softies fantastically with no undesirable algae or cyano.

they are user friendly, i just took mine out the box and turned it on, been working non stop since. Yes the price is what discourages people but the performance is unmatched.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if it can be toned down to 200gph...

and my K-NANO puts out 240...

El Camaron- how do you determine the gph when turning down the flow?

do you simply estimate? I've just never used one of these

it is an estimate but would be pretty symple, just let the pump run on normal at full power and scale it down to what you feel is righht or vise versa; from there you can set your pump to lagoon or reef crest or whatever you find suits you tank best.