10gallon

hlem

The better question is why are you trying to keep zoa at excatly 74 degrees.. the winter is easy the summer is hard!

(edited)

cause the crappy heater i got said it suppose to keep at 10gallon tank at 78-80, but its only 74.....and i dont feel like returning it and buying a new one

Edited by hlem

oh see I was thinking you were trying to keep a cold water fish! Just expect slower growth... as for the heater what kind is it?

You need to watch if its a glass heater I've seen them explode before the salt eats the componets and then everything dies.. anyway I have a steath heater I like hope it helps!

oh see I was thinking you were trying to keep a cold water fish! Just expect slower growth... as for the heater what kind is it?

74 is still tropical - and a better temperature for many corals and fish than the typical 78-82. I doubt you could see much difference in growth rate from 4*.

FWIW, if all you're going to keep in this tank is zoanthids, you could skip the heater altogether. I wouldn't worry about the temps until you got below 68 (and I've often considered adding some to my coldwater tank, as I believe they would fair okay after acclimating to the temp). Daily fluctuations less than 4* or so would be fine. Most zoanthid species can be found in intertidal zones - exposed to air temps, solar heating in small tidepools, and freshwater from rain.

use a 2nd small heater to get you up to 76-78

that way if one breaks your still only at 74

and remove one in summer so they don't overheat you.