Museum of Natural History Reef Tank

Ryan S

One of my favorite tanks in the area, if not my favorite tank, is the reef tank at the Museum of Natural History. Man I love that tank! I took some low quality photos today (from my cell phone). Does anyone know more about this tank? Size? Equipment behind the scenes, etc?

feb04_008.jpg

feb04_011.jpg

feb04_009.jpg

feb04_012.jpg

feb04_010.jpg

Good video of it I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuC7NrtHk18&NR=1

Edited by Ryan S

(edited)
That would be a great tank tour for the club. Does anyone have any connections there?

I was thinking the same thing.

Also - is this tank a bowfront or a corner tank? I thought it was a bowfront at first, but after thinking about it, I think it's actually a really large corner tank? And what size, 500g? 1000g? Wonder if it's glass or acrylic. I guess it would have to be acrylic due to the size?

Edited by Ryan S

I'm glad you asked! This is my favorite tank in DC as well. It just so happens that one of my neighbors is a marine biologist at the Smithsonian. Another neighbor who was a Smithsonian entomologist there suggested I talk to her back when I got in the hobby, and I never got around to it.

Anyone interested in trying to get a meeting or a social there so we can get a behind the scenes tour? I can give her a call this weekend.

I'm glad you asked! This is my favorite tank in DC as well. It just so happens that one of my neighbors is a marine biologist at the Smithsonian. Another neighbor who was a Smithsonian entomologist there suggested I talk to her back when I got in the hobby, and I never got around to it.

Anyone interested in trying to get a meeting or a social there so we can get a behind the scenes tour? I can give her a call this weekend.

Robert, will get in touch with you about this. Just brought it up with the group. Can you get in touch with them and let us know what they say and we'll go from there? Perhaps this could be combined with Ocean Hall (don't know much about that tank and have never seen it - the Natural History tank).

The Sant Ocean Hall exhibit is a great experience. If you have not been, you really should try to make it over there. The living display is a 2,000 gallon bowfront. It is a beautiful display.

I found a link on google that says the tank is 1,500 gallons. After seeing it in person, it's definitely more of a corner tank than a bowfront.

It sort of makes me want to try a large corner tank myself. Does anyone know what the largest non-custom size is for a corner tank? Is 92g the biggest?