Whole house surge protector for generator/panel

Sikryd

Whole house surge protector for generator/panel

Where can I get one? Someone posted before, but I can't find it

(Drywall is getting hung today - wooo hooo - basement is coming along)

I also got a new little friend coming for my new tank - pics soon :)

I got a panel surge protector at Commerce Electrical (I think that was the name) when I did a heavy up 6-7 years ago.

It is in the #1 breaker slot and if there's a large surge into the house, it's supposed to pop and protect all breakers beyond it. Hasn't popped yet so I can't say it works and the green light is still on.

Just wondering- I got a TVSS installed about 4 years ago on my greenhouse panel in FL. An electrical engineer friend helped me do all the wiring down there, he got it for free as a demo from one of his sales reps. He told me they usually cost about $700-800. Have the prices dropped a lot in recent years, or are there different quality TVSS units? This one is on a 200A service. I can't remember the brand, maybe Pass & Seymour as that was a major supplier for him.

I posted something in this post about it.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...37&hl=surge

Thanks! I guess I could have typed in Surge in the search ;)

Just wondering- I got a TVSS installed about 4 years ago on my greenhouse panel in FL. An electrical engineer friend helped me do all the wiring down there, he got it for free as a demo from one of his sales reps. He told me they usually cost about $700-800. Have the prices dropped a lot in recent years, or are there different quality TVSS units? This one is on a 200A service. I can't remember the brand, maybe Pass & Seymour as that was a major supplier for him.

I would guess there are different levels of protection. I'm going to ask my electrician what he thinks about this and go from there.

I either want to be covered 100% throughout the house and not have to use the $50 surge strips on my LED/PLASMA/LCD's, computers, ect. or just don't put this in at all.

In other words, I don't want a false sense of protection :)

Thanks! I guess I could have typed in Surge in the search ;)

I would guess there are different levels of protection. I'm going to ask my electrician what he thinks about this and go from there.

I either want to be covered 100% throughout the house and not have to use the $50 surge strips on my LED/PLASMA/LCD's, computers, ect. or just don't put this in at all.

In other words, I don't want a false sense of protection :)

Be aware that there are other paths of electricity to your equipment. Copper phone lines, coax for TV, Cat5 if you have ethernet in the walls, etc. You're still safest by using the A/V surge protectors on expensive equipment, even with the TVSS. This is why the better A/V protectors have RJ11, coax, Cat5 ports on them.

It is more of a difference in type then of quality for the TVSS units which will cause the price to differ. Just make sure you get a UL approved model. Last year I installed a Differences can be...

1. single or three phase

2. operating voltage range

3. max voltage surge

4. short circuit capacity

5. EMI or RFI filters

6. indicator LEDs or buzzers

7. one time use or reusable with test switch

8. Metal oxide varistor (MOV) or gas discharge tube (GDT)

9. NEMA or enclosure rating

(edited)
Be aware that there are other paths of electricity to your equipment. Copper phone lines, coax for TV, Cat5 if you have ethernet in the walls, etc. You're still safest by using the A/V surge protectors on expensive equipment, even with the TVSS. This is why the better A/V protectors have RJ11, coax, Cat5 ports on them.

Thanks for the reminder. I kind of spaced on that part. I don't mind the cable burning up my verizon box so much though ;) lol

I guess some of those will have to stay either way then.

It is more of a difference in type then of quality for the TVSS units which will cause the price to differ. Just make sure you get a UL approved model. Last year I installed a Differences can be...

1. single or three phase

2. operating voltage range

3. max voltage surge

4. short circuit capacity

5. EMI or RFI filters

6. indicator LEDs or buzzers

7. one time use or reusable with test switch

8. Metal oxide varistor (MOV) or gas discharge tube (GDT)

9. NEMA or enclosure rating

I'll probably install it since the price/protection is there. $80/$50,000 doesn't seem like a bad investment even if it just saves one thing, or just gives it longer life.

Edited by Sikryd