Zoa killing sponges

jamesbuf

So I've got a few sponges that are starting to overtake a few zoa frags. I've keep the sponges at bay by periodically taking the frags out of the fragtank and letting them sit out in air. Doesn't hurt the zoas and the sponges seem to die off to a degree. I'm wondering what people do to keep the sponges at bay when they aren't able to take their zoas out of the tank?? Other than Angels (which are also knows to eat zoas), what creatures out there eat sponges??

So I've got a few sponges that are starting to overtake a few zoa frags. I've keep the sponges at bay by periodically taking the frags out of the fragtank and letting them sit out in air. Doesn't hurt the zoas and the sponges seem to die off to a degree. I'm wondering what people do to keep the sponges at bay when they aren't able to take their zoas out of the tank?? Other than Angels (which are also knows to eat zoas), what creatures out there eat sponges??

I to have had this problem. I also take the Zoo's out of the tank and let sit. I was going to post this same subject almost word for word.

I had a white sponge growing in a zoa colony of about 200 polyps, which i couldnt take out of the tank. I picked off with my hand what i could of the sponge, then I used my hand (gloved) to close the polyps, so i could see the rest of it. Then I used the end of a pair of scissors and scraped the rock at the "thickest" part of the sponge. When I was able to get under the sponge, I gently pried it up, and it hasnt been back since. Maybe it was dumb luck, but it worked great. Good luck

I have those sponges all over my tank. Haven't noticed that they crowd out the other corals. They seem to prefer the dark crevasis that the coral don't. Reading this, now I am concerned. Should I be removing them? Are they toxic to the corals?