subwoofer near tank?

guppychao

thinking of placing a "movie room" near my fish tank.

want to get a subwoofer and wonder if all that bass would eventually damage the tank?

Probably depends on the size and power of the sub and exactly how far away from your tank the sub is. Most likely it won't cause any damage unless you're going with a water-cooled movie theater grade sub.

I have a 10" Velodyne sub (about a $500 subwoofer) in the same room as my fish tank and I don't notice any extra vibration or anything at the tank.

Edited by Brian Ward

When I built my home theater I was going to build a 240 it into my wall,but thought the fish and reef would get distrurbed and We only go in there when we watch a movie. I built my down stairs before I ever knew about Wamas :(

Something to think about is that fish "hear" through their lateral line system which is designed to pick up any and all vibrations in the water. I feel that it's probably pretty stressful to have water pumps in the water already which produce a lot of vibrations in the water, albeit very steady. The way I look at it is that loud thumps could potentially damage or kill your fish. If you can kill a fish by concussion (e.g. dynamite fishing), you can also cause an inordinate amount of damage by exposing them to strong vibrations. The glass of a tank is an excellent conductor of vibrations, just as the heavy saltwater itself is. I can't imagine that all of the noises would harm your fish, but I imagine that at least a few of them would do something to them... if you're watching a war movie that makes your seat rumble and the fish are exposed to this up close and personal, I would think that would be like getting your ears boxed for them...