does gha out-compete bryopsis, or vice versa, or no either way?

treesprite

Curious about this because of my current situation.

I have never seen bryopsis and hair algae growing at the same time in the tank, it's always been one, the other, or nothing. A couple years ago I had tufts of bryopsis all around the tank, which the little yellow tang I had eliminated. Several months after the little tang was traded to Guy, hair algae started growing badly in certain regions of the tank, but there was no return of the bryopsis. I have not had any hair algae now since summertime, (I think is because water quality is not as bad), but suddenly this past week some tufts of bryopsis have popped up. I was going to wait until the 75 is up to get a new tang, but may get one sooner to eat this stuff up (not all tangs eat it, but zebramosa does).

Edited by flowerseller

gha = green hair algae

Zebramosa does eat bryopsis. There's another tang species that sometimes eats it, but I can't remember which one... I'll have to look it up again.

I'll give you or anyone else for that matter $100 if you provide me with a fish that eats bryopsis guaranteed. I'll even pay for the fish.

I maintain an SPS tank that has near perfect water chemistry, but still have a bryopsis problem. If it all died, I wouldn't worry about the potential to release all of its stored nutrients- before the bryopsis the N03 was 4ppm, now it's zero.

Magnesium is at 1700ppm and still have bryopsis.

Edited by zygote2k

I'll give you or anyone else for that matter $100 if you provide me with a fish that eats bryopsis guaranteed. I'll even pay for the fish.

I maintain an SPS tank that has near perfect water chemistry, but still have a bryopsis problem. If it all died, I wouldn't worry about the potential to release all of its stored nutrients- before the bryopsis the N03 was 4ppm, now it's zero.

Magnesium is at 1700ppm and still have bryopsis.

I think I would rather keep such a valuable fish! The tang I had went to Guy - if he still has it, maybe he can experiment for you.

None of the discussion on tangs answers my question about bryopsis versus hair algae, though.