Adding Fish

tischdog32

Is it safe to add a fish to my reef tank that was previously in a tank that was dosed with copper?

Obviously, I would not add any of the water the fish came in, but after QT, can the fish carry copper into the display? And if so, could it possibly be enough to bother my corals?

They don't carry copper over in their bodies, so no need to worry about putting them in your tank.

They don't carry copper over in their bodies, so no need to worry about putting them in your tank.

Actually, they do accumulate copper in their bodies over time. Copper is an essential element in body function and can aid in the assimilation of calcium into bone building and disease and parasite resistance. That's why it is part of trace elements that are in our salt mixes. The issue comes up with copper when it is not metabolized and used properly by the body. Copper can build up in the bodies of every living thing, hence it's name as a heavy metal. This can lead to poisoning of the fish and anything else that it builds up in - which is also why I believe it's so effective at disease treatment. It builds up in the bodies of parasites and some infections and causes heavy metal poisoning in these. In your fish, it will build up in their flesh, but until they are eaten in your tank, the copper remains in their flesh and doesn't leach out into the water in any significant numbers, if at all. This is very similar to mercury, which builds up over time in fish and invertebrates and eventually leads to poisoning.

As far as your fish, they are safe to add to your tank unless your corals are going to be eating them.

Oops, thanks for the correction! I was thinking just in terms of it having it as something that would hurt any other livestock they come into contact with.

In your fish, it will build up in their flesh, but until they are eaten in your tank... they are safe to add to your tank unless your corals are going to be eating them.

I like how you say not IF but WHEN they are eaten given that you are the one selling the fish eating mini-carpets :eek:

hehe

I like how you say not IF but WHEN they are eaten given that you are the one selling the fish eating mini-carpets :eek:

hehe

I'm a big believer in allowing the recycling (aka clean-up) crew to do their jobs. I've never had a big enough fish die in my systems to merit taking it out, and even when I tried to, there wasn't really much left other than a couple of bones. I even fed a puffer fish that had jumped out of my tank and dried out! Most expensive set of meals ever was a midas blenny and a firefish...