The Mysterious Red Leaves

WaterDog

We bought some Florida aquacultured live rock when we were setting up our tank, but now I've just noticed that there are red leaflike things growing on two of the pieces. I uploaded a picture of them, not really sure if that'll be enough. I was just kind of wondering if anyone knew what the heck they are.

post-2632200-1262554770_thumb.jpg

Ahhhh, beautiful! Nemastoma macroalgae. Hard to find and expensive. Enjoy! If it gets big enough to frag I'll buy some from you.

We bought some Florida aquacultured live rock when we were setting up our tank, but now I've just noticed that there are red leaflike things growing on two of the pieces. I uploaded a picture of them, not really sure if that'll be enough. I was just kind of wondering if anyone knew what the heck they are.

Ahhhh, beautiful! Nemastoma macroalgae. Hard to find and expensive. Enjoy! If it gets big enough to frag I'll buy some from you.

Heh...and here i was scared it was some invasive species that was going to kill my precious peppermint shrimp :wacko:

Thanks for allaying my fears...and assuming it doesn't die buy the time it grows up I'd be willing to give it away.

Do a search on how to care for it. If you have everything it needs you'll be fine.

Heh...and here i was scared it was some invasive species that was going to kill my precious peppermint shrimp :wacko:

Thanks for allaying my fears...and assuming it doesn't die buy the time it grows up I'd be willing to give it away.

Do a search on how to care for it. If you have everything it needs you'll be fine.

Well we do have a new refugium. Should it go in there. I did just read that Nemastoma is delicate though so I'm not sure how well the handling would work out...

Has it grown much since you got it? If so I'd leave it right where it is.

Well we do have a new refugium. Should it go in there. I did just read that Nemastoma is delicate though so I'm not sure how well the handling would work out...

Has it grown much since you got it? If so I'd leave it right where it is.

Sizewise, it's still kind of small, say a centimeter as the longest one, but it is spreading and the first spot where I saw it has more leaves, even if they aren't much bigger.

If it were me I'd let it be.

Sizewise, it's still kind of small, say a centimeter as the longest one, but it is spreading and the first spot where I saw it has more leaves, even if they aren't much bigger.

That might be the same as the stuff that mysteriously came up out of nowhere in the nano I used to have. I took it home and it died. The other day I spied what I think is a tiny bit of it growing back on the rock it used to be on - it's been a couple of years of not seeing a trace of it, but perhaps there was a tiny invisible speck in the rock all this time waiting for the right conditions.

That might be the same as the stuff that mysteriously came up out of nowhere in the nano I used to have. I took it home and it died. The other day I spied what I think is a tiny bit of it growing back on the rock it used to be on - it's been a couple of years of not seeing a trace of it, but perhaps there was a tiny invisible speck in the rock all this time waiting for the right conditions.

By mysteriously came up out of nowhere...does that mean it's bad?

could be Dichtyota sp.

this stuff overran Marine Scene.

I looked at a few places that had pictures of it, and what we have doesn't really look like that except for one picture...but that's green. Does the color really have anything to do with it?

The stuff I had (have?) grew in only a single spot, looked kind of like a red tree, never spread just grew bigger and bigger. It was very pretty. I probably have a picture of it amongst my nano pictures - I'll have to see if I can find one.

firefish500.jpg

bothfish-500.jpg

Oh, also, the baby clown I had hosted in it.

I think I just remembered where it came from.... there was a tiny piece of something red in with a mass of chaeto I had gotten from Martin way back then.

Edited by treesprite

firefish500.jpg

bothfish-500.jpg

Oh, also, the baby clown I had hosted in it.

That's actually exactly what it looks like, except mine is smaller...Do you have any ideas what it might be? On a completely different note was the firefish that was in the picture easy/compatible with the other fish?

That's actually exactly what it looks like, except mine is smaller...Do you have any ideas what it might be? On a completely different note was the firefish that was in the picture easy/compatible with the other fish?

I never found a name for it. I had posted about it here, but never got a definitive answer - maybe your post will get us one. It really is a beautiful macro - if this is what you have, do let it grow.

Firefish are very passive and will hide a lot if tank mates aren't fairly passive and calm. They don't get along with their own kind unless it's a compatible m/f pair. Mine is in a 65g tank with nothing but an ocellaris, cherub angel, and gramma. I had a pair but one died :( They are very cool to have in a pair.

nice hitchhiking algae score waterdog! lol I wish rare and valuable stuff popped up randomly in my aquarium... I will trade you for some hitchhiking majanos or aptasia! lol

Edited by reefhunter

Jan, what's the source of that picture?

I just left the computer to take my speck out of the tank to give it a closer look - sure enough it is the same stuff as was growing on that little rock rock a couple years ago, which I haven't seen since then. I took a picture, will post it later. The difference with that rock is that I now have it on the shelf by my overflow (has some palys on it), so either it's because it's real close to the light, or it's because it's in very high flow.

Edited by treesprite

The source of many of the information I post on here comes from doing a google search for the subject matter. In this case it was Nemastoma macroalgae. Then looking at and comparing images and reading articles about about it. I was familiar with this algae because I've put together a marine planted tank and this was one of the macros that I wanted for it. It's very expensive macroalgae. Wetwebmedia has it listed under red macroalgae with limited information about how to care for it. I know that if you post a query to Bob Fenner or any of the other marine biologist on the site they'll give you very detailed information on how to care for it.

I just left the computer to take my speck out of the tank to give it a closer look - sure enough it is the same stuff as was growing on that little rock rock a couple years ago, which I haven't seen since then. I took a picture, will post it later. The difference with that rock is that I now have it on the shelf by my overflow (has some palys on it), so either it's because it's real close to the light, or it's because it's in very high flow.

I think it might be both, because all of it in my tank is relatively high up and the bigger patches are close to the stronger powerhead. Granted, that might just be because that's where the rock ended up.

nice hitchhiking algae score waterdog! lol I wish rare and valuable stuff popped up randomly in my aquarium... I will trade you for some hitchhiking majanos or aptasia! lol

Lol thanks but some aptasia already popped up on the opposite side...so now there's a good side, and a bad side. :eek:

The source of many of the information I post on here comes from doing a google search for the subject matter. In this case it was Nemastoma macroalgae. Then looking at and comparing images and reading articles about about it. I was familiar with this algae because I've put together a marine planted tank and this was one of the macros that I wanted for it. It's very expensive macroalgae. Wetwebmedia has it listed under red macroalgae with limited information about how to care for it. I know that if you post a query to Bob Fenner or any of the other marine biologist on the site they'll give you very detailed information on how to care for it.

Thanks for the idea of Wetwebmedia, it helped clear up a few things about how to care for it. It also said that red alga in general seem to overrun tanks, but all the pictures of nemastoma I've seen show it growing just up like branches, not so much out like a field like wetweb says it does...

Thanks for the info, Jan. I'm glad you did real research on it rather than take one source's word for it.

Wet Web Media is a good site - I read on there quite a bit about many different things.

Maybe it's more the flow than light now that I am comparing the tanks. The old nano had blasting flow in it but the light was just PCs with the macro being near the bottom of the tank. In the 65, the macro is as high up as anything could be without being out of the tank under T-5s, in probably the highest flow spot in the tank.

redmacro.jpg

I now recall that there was a tiny bit of something red in a chunk of chaeto I had gotten from Martin before he moved, and I thought it had vanished, then it showed up on that rock a few months later. Interestingly, I recently aquired his old 75g tank, which I think is the system this originated from. In other words, maybe this is a homesick macro that came back to be re-united with its old home.

Edited by treesprite