Finally got a tank!

treesprite

I finally have a tank, Martin's old 75g, via Fabiana. Given that I still haven't moved and won't in winter, I'm going to go ahead and start setting up.

First I have to find out what size bulkhead goes into the single hole that is drilled - it's about 7" in circumference. One hole isn't enough, so I need to drill another one - I don't think I need a 3rd if the second is this same size, but could take some suggestions.

I've got wood for my stand, need glass for a full-length overflow, need stuff to build a hood, and once the tank is up will need some more rock.

I finally have a tank, Martin's old 75g, via Fabiana. Given that I still haven't moved and won't in winter, I'm going to go ahead and start setting up.

First I have to find out what size bulkhead goes into the single hole that is drilled - it's about 7" in circumference. One hole isn't enough, so I need to drill another one - I don't think I need a 3rd if the second is this same size, but could take some suggestions.

I've got wood for my stand, need glass for a full-length overflow, need stuff to build a hood, and once the tank is up will need some more rock.

7" in circumference? I suppose I could divide by pi, but why not just measure the diameter??

bob

7" in circumference? I suppose I could divide by pi, but why not just measure the diameter??

bob

I think treesprite is tricking us into doing math for fun. I also seem to remember her asking us to calculate the volume of a hexagonal tank...

LOL. Sorry, I measured diameter and circumference last night, didn't write it down, and could only remember circumference when I posted.

I'm working on my stand - taking a break right now. I'm worried that it will turn out uneven.

My notes say a 1.5" bulkhead requires a 2.5" hole, but I bet a 1.5" bullkhead will fit (snugly) in a 2.25" hole.

I just did a rough calculation of 7 divided by 3.14 so it could actually be closer to 2.5"

I measured it again, though not a precise measurement I'm sure. It's somewhere in that range stated, between 2.25 and 2.5.

If it's a 1.5" bulkhead, I'm going to say maybe I just need 1 more hole of same size. I'm taking a wild guess that 2 of 1.5" will give the same flow as 3 of 1" - the 65g has 3 of 1" which works out quite well with the pumps I have.

Is there any LFS closer to me that has the single-use bits, or do I need to drive 2 hours to get back and forth to/from BRK?

I didn't realize until several days ago that this tank is 4" shorter than my 65. Last night I realized that my corals will be sticking out of the water if I don't break apart my epoxied-together rock structures. And here I was worried all this time, about not being able to re-create any parts of my scaping that I really wanted to keep.

Coming along with my stand building. Need a drill bit, a bulkhead, and a long piece of glass.

I am going to have to move my sump and fuge - not a problem with the sump, but my fuge has a 20x12x8 sand bed in it that is too heavy to even slide on the floor it's sitting on. I'm not so sure I want to deal with starting the DSB all over again.

Forrest, Would a small wedge work to lift enough to put furniture sliders under it? I used those to move a 600 pound hutch with the crystal and china still in it.... Just an idea/ thought.