Tang "claw" not going back in

L8 2 RISE

I added another tank with black sides very close to my display so now there is apparently a reflection on the inside of the side of my display. Well apparently my kole tang doesn't like himself and has been "attacking" his reflection. Since there are some rocks near the side as well, the first day he ended up with a pretty gnarled up head that's now healing. It's been 4-5 days since I've had the tank up, and the tang is still attacking it, and yesterday, I found that it had its "claw" (don't know what else to call it) out and it has remained out. Anyone know anything about this? There doesn't appear to be any injury or damage around that area. Is it that once it is "deployed" they can't bring it back it? Or what?

TIA

When my yellow and purple tang were constantly fighting, it seemed like one of the purple tang's 'blades' was stuck like that. But eventually it went back where it belongs.

bob

Sounds like it injured itself or is in permanent defensive mode for the time being. It should be able to retract the "claws" (a.k.a. peduncle spines - I couldn't remember it either and had to look it up) at all times so if it's locked in place, I would suggest removing the fish and taking a hammer and banging it back into place. :eek: Just kidding, if it never retracts, then you may want to research the problem more. I looked on RC and found nothing on it, but who knows...

Cmon guys, that is what gives the tang family it's name. It's his "tang." It is the Surgeon Fish's Scalpel

Some times it gets injured, or something could stuck under there, or even ripped off in a fight. I've never seen one that didn't eventually heal up, or cause any great stress to the fish.

When my yellow and purple tang were constantly fighting, it seemed like one of the purple tang's 'blades' was stuck like that. But eventually it went back where it belongs.

bob

That's what I'm hoping for.

I would suggest removing the fish and taking a hammer and banging it back into place.

I followed your advice and tried this and I think you owe me 40 bucks because for some reason the fish is no longer swimming and looks kinda like this:

dsc00112.jpg

That's what I'm hoping for.

I followed your advice and tried this and I think you owe me 40 bucks because for some reason the fish is no longer swimming and looks kinda like this:

dsc00112.jpg

LOL :laugh: