Fish Ideas

WaterDog

First reef tank here, and we just added our first peppermint shrimp and they seem to be doing fine.

Our main idea for fish is to add them in this order

Pair of Bangaii Cardinals

Pair of False Percula Clownfish

Neon Goby(s)

Coral Beauty Angelfish (I've heard mixed ideas about these guys, from being great starter fish to coral mongerers)

We kind of wanted to add some soft corals, but we weren't sure what kinds, and just wanted to make sure that we weren't going to have any giant brawls by putting this fish in...hehe

We have a 46 gal. bowfront with 2 powerheads, a T-5 light, a sump, a skimmer, and hopefully making a refugium within a week

Edited by WaterDog

First reef tank here, and we just added our first peppermint shrimp and they seem to be doing fine.

Our main idea for fish is to add them in this order

Pair of Bangaii Cardinals

Pair of False Percula Clownfish

Neon Goby(s)

Coral Beauty Angelfish (I've heard mixed ideas about these guys, from being great starter fish to coral mongerers)

We kind of wanted to add some soft corals, but we weren't sure what kinds, and just wanted to make sure that we weren't going to have any giant brawls by putting this fish in...hehe

We have a 46 gal. bowfront with 2 powerheads, a T-5 light, a sump, a skimmer, and hopefully making a refugium within a week

I would say that the cardinals, ocellaris, and neon gobies, it doesn't really matter what order you add those as they aren't the most territorial fish out there. I would actually think about adding the gobies first so they can establish a territory. Not that most fish will eat them, but I've always had difficulty with them in my systems - never had a one survive for more than a few months, longest lived one was one that got into the overflow and lived in a sump. Bangaiis can be difficult to keep, especially due to shipping stress. I would definitely find a pair of captive bred ones (another fish that I have been disastrous with).

For the Coral Beauty, each one is different. I have yet to own one in my home tanks that has been anything but an angel ( ;) ) but I have one that was donated to school that was donated specifically because of her tendency to pick at things (I say her because she has bonded to a Lemonpeel that is much larger than she is). Personally, I love the Coral Beauties and think they are fantastic fish and have almost always had them in my systems, but not in my current display because of the other fish I have.

As far as soft corals, this is the place to be... people often give away their soft corals as they can be very prolific.

I would say that the cardinals, ocellaris, and neon gobies, it doesn't really matter what order you add those as they aren't the most territorial fish out there. I would actually think about adding the gobies first so they can establish a territory. Not that most fish will eat them, but I've always had difficulty with them in my systems - never had a one survive for more than a few months, longest lived one was one that got into the overflow and lived in a sump. Bangaiis can be difficult to keep, especially due to shipping stress. I would definitely find a pair of captive bred ones (another fish that I have been disastrous with).

Ok thanks, but is that a big issue about the gobies? And we were also thinking about the Pajama Cardinals, are they any better than the Bangaiis? We kept a freshwater and ended up killing everything due to an algae bloom so I'm just a little paranoid... :eek:

No, I don't think it truly makes a difference with the gobies. I was just thinking it might be easier for them to set up a territory before you put anything else in that might want the same territory. Not that they couldn't share it, but I would think that you might get a better cleaning response if they were set up in advance.

For the cardinals, the pajama are definitely an easier species, but I don't like how they look. The Bangaii are definitely the better looking cardinals for me, I just haven't been able to keep them alive.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi.

Have you got that pair ?

Not quite yet. Our quarantine tank just finished cycling, so we're going to get fish soon, probably the gobies or cardinals first. :biggrin:

You can't go wrong with a pair captive bred ocellaris. They are pretty tough to kill.

Yeah we're definitely getting a pair of those, I was just thinking that since they might get a little territorial (them being a subset of damselfishes and all) they would come in maybe 2nd or 3rd.

I have never had any issues with A. ocellaris being territorial with other species of fish.

True, but once again being the new kid in town I'm a little paranoid about these things, so I'm just kind of thinking play it safe and get the gobies that won't attack anyone that comes near their patch of sand. Granted I'm probably overreacting but better safe then sorry...right?

I haven't known anyone with a coral beauty that didn't end up snacking on polyps. But you usually hear about the people with problems vs. ones that are good tank mates.

I haven't known anyone with a coral beauty that didn't end up snacking on polyps. But you usually hear about the people with problems vs. ones that are good tank mates.

That's still a little down the road as we're getting our first fish tonight but I'll keep that in mind. Are flame angels any better?

(edited)
No, flame angles are not any better from my experience. I have had three over the years and they all nipped at corals.

Darn. Well I'm thinking about maybe a wrasse of some kind, but as of now the neon gobies are now in the quarantine tank. :clap:

Edited by WaterDog

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 PJ's that have been easy to care for. They tend to school together and my Ocellaris clowns have been less territorial with them in the tank. Why? I think because 1 of them is rather large! It's bigger than my female clown. LOL! They are very peaceful fish but can defend themselves if really needed. If nothing else, the larger 2 tend to pick on the smaller 2 a little. They do swim fast and don't seem to mind getting in there to get the food. The one set has survived a tank crash (The other 2 came after.) HTH.

Edited by hbh

I have 4 PJ's that have been easy to care for. They tend to school together and my Ocellaris clowns have been less territorial with them in the tank. Why? I think because 1 of them is rather large! It's bigger than my female clown. LOL! They are very peaceful fish but can defend themselves if really needed. If nothing else, the larger 2 tend to pick on the smaller 2 a little. They do swim fast and don't seem to mind getting in there to get the food. The one set has survived a tank crash (The other 2 came after.) HTH.

I know they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think as PJ has gotten larger it looks less attractive. When it was smaller, it was a desirable fish to me.

I know they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think as PJ has gotten larger it looks less attractive. When it was smaller, it was a desirable fish to me.

I think they're erm...unique. I don't find them pretty...just interesting. If that makes sense :laugh:

Make sure you get something to feed the neons when you put them in they can be really picky... I had mine for like 7 months until my rbta had them for lunch!

Make sure you get something to feed the neons when you put them in they can be really picky... I had mine for like 7 months until my rbta had them for lunch!

I have flake food and they eat that up quickly. And they seem to like the pellets I feed the shrimp so that should be interesting to see what happens.