Black Spots on Clown?

Guest Moa

Guest Moa

I have a False Percula in my Nanocube that I've had for about 5 months.  She's done really well but when I came into work I saw that she has a number of spots that look just like this (this isn't her though):

171spots_on_clown.jpg

I've been doing some reading and searched the WAMAS forums and it seems like two possibilities: 1) black ich, or 2) stings from a soft coral she is trying to host in.  She is eating fine this am, and is cruising around in the tank, not appearing in any distress.

My tank is looking really good.  New additions include frags from the workshop.  Currently, for livestock the tank has a significant variety of snails, an emerald crab, a yellow watchman goby (he looks just fine). For corals I have: Borneman capnella, zoanthids, green Kenyan tree coral, GSP, pulsing xenia, and assorted mushrooms. I have a small skimmer running in the back and a small bag of RowaPhos with a big clump of chaeto in the main tank.

I haven't had a chance to check water params other than salinity (with a refractometer) which is at 1.025.  

Any wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

If those spots are flat, you are looking at melanism.  A clown will develop black pigment in response to hosting in corals, such as zoos/leathers etc.  Nothing to worry about :)

You did good research.  I've got $1 to bet it is the Zoos.

Had the same problem myself.  It takes a while to go away, weeks at least.

Mine has the same similiar pigments, looks like a bit of pepper on both sides. Don't remember seeing more than a month ago.

So no big issue?

Howard

Guest Moa

Thanks so much for the replies.  The black spots are indeed completely flat.  She seems really happy otherwise.  I'm thinking that she thinks the zoo's or another softie are her version of a TemperPedic!  Thanks again I'll update if there are any changes.

Relieved,

Joe

I researched the heck out of it when it happened.  Cant remember the name, but the "other" possibility would kill the fish in <2 days, so once you are past that with a live fish, relax.

My Percula Oscellaris has this condition going on a month or more now. Mostly on one side, but noticed a couple of spots on the left side now. Looks and acts ok, so hopefully I'm in the clear as well!

Howard

There are many versions of A. clarkii including a black variant with white stripes.

fwiw:  I have found clowns hosting in some anemones will darken considerably and certain diets prompt a fading in the "wild caught" colors.

As Marina stated, most of the cases described above sound like melanistic reactions.  Michaelg my clarks seemed to darken while they were in a S. haddoni, but did not seem to change much in E. quadricolor or H. magnifica.

hth

• 1 month later...
Guest bill33
my ocallaris clowns have them to they are hosting in my zoos/xenas/ what not     it will go away in a few weeks