Temp and tank covering for Firefish

mling

It’s July in Washington DC and even my basement gets hot.  The water temp in my tank has risen to as high as 82 in the evening !.  It use to not go over 80 in the evening when I had a 2” by 24” opening, the other 14 inch taken up by the hang behind skimmer.  I covered up that 2x24 because I added a firefish to the tank and was advised to do so because firefishes jump due to their skittish nature.  

Am I over reacting by covering up that last uncovered 2x24” area ?            

How high can I let the temp go before I am in trouble ? I have not had my temp go over 83 so far but the real hot Washington summer has yet to arrive.

Guest Amber Nussbaum
I have a firefish that has never jumped.. but then again, he has a dart hole that he will dart into when someone goes by the tank too fast or something. He sleeps in the same hole too.. so maybe he feels safer. Maybe you could use something like door screen or that eggcrate stuff that is for lighting, that would leave some air circulating. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael,

Ditto with Amber, I've had several Firefish and I currently have 2 that I believe are mating and have a LR that they are darting into and out.

Just give them some LR to hide in, they will do fine.

My tank is about 82 during the day and 80 at night.

They seem fine, but above that continueously, could be bad.

Howard

Guest bill33

if it gets to hot, get a chiller it i'll set you back some $$$, but it i'll lower the temp couple of degres. if your tank is small, they have macro chiller there cheaper but they are still pretty expansive

thanks

Bill

Thanks for the suggestions.  I do have lots of caves in my tank and my firefish has found it's favorite cave to dart in and out of.   I have therefore removed the glass top from my tank, hopfully this will lower the temp.