Zebra Moray Eels

davelin315

I'm contemplating moving another zebra moray into my school tank and posted up on experiences over on RC about this - figured there's more eel keepers over there than on here. Anyway, Frank Marini posted that he had a pair that regularly laid eggs. Anyone know anything about breeding eels? I am not sure what I'm going to do yet, as I know they could fight and I don't want it to happen while I'm not here. Any experiences here? References to behavior?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I figured not many would have experience with this.

On to another question, the pair of Gold Bar Maroons in the tank host in the eel that's there - will adding another eel mess this relationship up? This is a unique relationship (check out the education forum and the Floris Aggressive tank thread for a video) and I don't want to mess it up as I've never seen this happen nor heard of it happen before.

I would not do anything that might even remotely mess that relationship up. I am still amazed the the eel has not tried to snack on the male. I tried putting clowns in with my well fed snowflake and it would hunt the clowns every night. Both clowns were way to big to fit into its mouth but it still tried. I finally had to remove them.

I would not do anything that might even remotely mess that relationship up. I am still amazed the the eel has not tried to snack on the male. I tried putting clowns in with my well fed snowflake and it would hunt the clowns every night. Both clowns were way to big to fit into its mouth but it still tried. I finally had to remove them.

The zebra doesn't really feed on fish, does it? He has the big crustacean-eating molars, not the sharp fish-eating teeth.

The zebra doesn't really feed on fish, does it? He has the big crustacean-eating molars, not the sharp fish-eating teeth.

Actually, neither snowflakes nor zebra morays are supposed to eat fish, but the snowflakes definitely do. The zebras won't even get excited about the scent of fish, though, and never have. I just don't want the zebra moray to decide it's had enough of the clowns if I put another eel in.