Maybe Replace Glass Pane

sheac12

I purchased jamesbuf's 180 after discretekarma had to sell it. Anyway after my wife and I purchased our first home it is finally time to set it up. What I found was the main front pane was damaged in the move. There are two chips on both edges of the front, and it is pretty well scratched. I am contemplating replacing that piece of glass with a new one.

Has anyone done this before? Is there anywhere in MD/VA that would sell the glass other then glasscages?

Thanks!

I would find a glass shop that will replace it with starfire glass. I know NAGA has starting doing some glass tanks, but I believe only the smaller ones. It would be worth a PM to him IMO to see if he can either do it or refer you to someone that can.

unless you can find a professional to replace the glass, you'll be better off replacing the whole tank. what will the wife say when the front glass seperates at 3 am and ruins the new carpet in the new house?

unless you can find a professional to replace the glass, you'll be better off replacing the whole tank. what will the wife say when the front glass seperates at 3 am and ruins the new carpet in the new house?

That's why I pulled up the carpet under the tank and replaced it with tile! Way too many water issues with the tank on carpet.

I was going to pm NAGA any way and see what he had to say. Thank you for the input!

You might want to price the glass first, It cost me 750.00 for a replacement pain on my tank.

Where did you go? - That is a crazy amount of money for a piece of glass.

Gaithersburg Glass Company can get Starfire glass, but even regular glass as thick as you need it, would probably cost the same if not more than just getting another pre-owned tank.

I took off and put back the back panel of my 65, but for a bigger tank you should get someone else to do it instead of trying it yourself.

The glass is 8'X 30" X 5/8 thick. Most places wanted 900.00

See there is the key, 8 foot long piece of glass and if its sapphire too, then yeah I could see that.