Lighting for Ricordia Tank

schulzjp

just curious why you wouldn't do 3 or 4 t5?

just because of $$$

2 PC bulbs = ~$50

4 T5 bulbs = ~$80

Also, 4 bulb T5 fixture will cost like twice as much as a 2 bulb PC fixture.

I also worry about frying them. I had 7 t5's over a 90 (with ice cap ballasts) and it seemed to fry my corals.

I dont know how many t5's would be equivalent to two pcs. I was thinking two t5s would be on par with two PCs, even with 37% less watts, simply because of the reflectors. *on second though maybe 3 would be needed :unsure: . I've never put lights on a tank only 12" tall so that made me think i dont want to many t5's.

Edited by schulzjp

I have a lot of ricordeas in my 3 gallon pico. I get very good growth and great color with a Sunpod using 1x70watt MH. I started out with 36watt PC's and the color and growth just wasn't there. i've got a spare Viper clip on that uses a 70 watt MH that would work just like the Sunpod if you're interested.

Most corallimorphs do well in low light. They will expand to absorb the light. MH's help them to grow faster and bring out their color.

After taking some time off I have been thinking of getting back into the hobby. I'd really like to go with a ricordea only tank, or ricordea dominate tank. I wanted to get some people's opinion on lighting. I'd like to set upa 20L.

I want to know if you would rather go with 2x65w PC or 2x24w T5HO. I've read on forums that PC doesn't bring out the colors as much, but I know it is possible to get 4 different spectrums using 2 PC bulbs. I not even sure if two t5 bulbs would "bring out the color", since that would only be 2 different spectrums (or if that would be enough light - I would get good, single reflectors though).

First off a Ricordia Garden Tank is an amazing idea! I want to see frequent picture updates. I would definitely go with a 4 bulb T5. If you want a quality unit and don't mind spending some extra dough, the Tek 4 bulb fixture is pretty nice. I could recommend some good bulb combos regardless. If you are worried about the light being too intense, just raise the light.

I've got mine under MH in one tank and PC on another- the MH seems much better for rics vs discos so consider Jan's 70 watt before I ****** it up :bounce:

also ask her about her slicin/dicing routine -she can butterfly rics and wrap em to go

The only ric I was looking at slicing jumped off his frag this week on a walkabout - now I have to wait to cut him. Sure you got the stomach for this?

Just wondering if we are talking about yumas or floridas here? I think there are different needs, at least IMHO, and would be interesting in hearing others experiences on the "ideal" setup for yumas.

Jon