-1/2 dozen red Mushrooms

-a little comunity of polyps

-about 10 hermits

-1 arrow crab

-2 common clowns

-1 red bali Anenome

-1 long tenticled Anenome

-1 colonial Anenome

Ok, thats what i got in my reef so far. I was wondering what i should go with next? ne suggestions? Is there nething i should upgrade? ::reminding you that i AM still a teenager and money isnt the easiest thing to get lol::

Joe,

Sounds like you have a good handle on reefkeeping.  Here are some comments that might help in the long run.

You don't need the cannister filter or the whisper power filter if you have good live rock and live sand.  In fact, they will only cause problems, as they will become nitrate producers.  The biological filtration provided by the external filters will convert ammonia to nitrate before your LR and LS will have a chance to assimilate it.  I'd recommend removing the external filtration and let the LR and LS do their job.  I'd also recommend having 4-6" of LS, but 1-2" will work as well.

You have a lot of anemones in your tank.  There is a good chance that one of them will move and sting your other inhabitants.  Moreover, you will probably need more light to keep your anemones happy for the long term.  The only one I am familar with is the LTA, which requires a far amount of light.  You are on the low end of the spectrum in that regard.

Best of luck!

-Tom

Guest DANMOQUIN
The only thing I disagree with in that very helpful post is where you said not to use the cannister filter. They are designed to be used under pressure so that the media in them (ie. carbon) will catch all the particles. If he keeps up and constantly changes the carbon, he should not have a problem with excessive nitrates. Just my 2 cents. Have a great new years. :)

If the only thing in the filter is carbon (or some other form of chemical filtration), I would agree.  However, most people load cannister filters up with filter floss, which turns into a very effective biological filter and ultimately undermines the biological filtration in his live rock and live sand.  Without knowing the details of how he is using the cannister filter, I guess I shouldn't of made any sort of assumption.

-T

Guest x2minusblndfold
to give u guys more imfo, yes i am using carbon..but is it possible that its picking up the waste that my skimmer was picking up b4 i installed it? cuz now my skimmer is picking up barely nething

Good quality carbon will decrease your skimmate for a while.  But most skimmers pick up after a few days.  I would help to know the type of skimmer to guage the quality.

-T

Guest x2minusblndfold
hey thnx for the site, i will realy comsider trying this

I agree with pez- in 9 years of keeping reef tanks, I have never used a canister filter.  Removing all the particles is not necessary- a reef tank, unlike most aquaria are unique in the diversity of organisms that it can harvest.  Let biology do the work for you here to keep the tank clean.  If you completely strip the water clean- what are all the tiniest organisms going to eat?  My smallest 10 gallon tank has a hang on the back type filter, but usually there is no media in it at all- just used for circulation as the tank is so small.  It also makes it easy to add carbon when I chose to do so...  The seaclone mod will do wonders.  My first tank years ago had a skilter filter on it- basically a combo hang on the back and skimmer in one- it never pulled anything until I did a mod  where I drilled a small hole in the top and ran a wooden airstone down into the chamber- and then it really started working.

Guest x2minusblndfold
Ohh, ok..hmm iv seen reef tanks in stores with canisters attached? maybe theres not much media inside or something?

I would not necessarily use a LFS as the metric for setting up a home reef tank.  Although they can be a good resource for information, they have a staff dedicated to maintaining tanks and they have access to corals all the time.  So a few dead corals are easily replaced.  If I maintained my tank every day, cleaning time would a lot easier!

Many LFS systems do not run deep sand beds w/live rock in their displays.  Imagine trying to chase down a fish/shrimp/... in LR when a customer is saying "I want THAT one".

Instead, they tend to run mechanical filtration systems.  At least that's what I see most of.  They have their corals and stuff on egg crate material to make it easier to pick up, move, etc.

In home based reef systems, we are trying to achieve a balanced ecosystem and we do not really need to try to get stuff out of our tanks.  The goal is to have stuff growing so well it out-grows the tank and you have to prune it back!

That said, mechanical filtration is not as attractive/necessary at home.

s

Not to hijack Joe's thread, but I'm setting up a 40 breeder that will have a WD/sump underneath with a skimmer. I don't plan to use the bio-balls but I do plan to keep the filter material and simply change it out on a regular basis (although, I'm finding more folks who have experienced similar results using a WD to what's reported in the Sea Scope study about WD filters and nitrates, but I digress...). Would I be better off using carbon in there instead of filter floss, or would it be ok to use carbon and the filter floss, or is that overkill?

Get a media bag for the carbon and just put it in there in an area where it will get a lot of flow.  A 3x5 inch sized bag or there abouts will be fine.  People use the filter pads, though personally I don't think they are necessary.  If you do use it, minimally I would was it out weekly.  As I said though, I don't think they are needed at all and it just adds to one more little thing on the maintanance list of to do's.  The carbon is more of a chemical filter (remove some dissolved junk that you can't see)- where as the filter pads are mechanical (trap solid junk).

• 2 weeks later...

The use of carbon in a W/D is far less efficient than using carbon in a cannister filter.  However, it does work.  I would not use any filter floss or anything that traps detritus.

-Tom

Guest owl28

I have just recentlly bought a tide pool w/d which come with a bio wheel.  From what I  have read should I remove this wheel and put several layers of carbon into the trays that hold it?

Aaron