nano lights

Guest x2minusblndfold

Guest x2minusblndfold
For a 10G nano reef, which type of light fixture is usualy recomended?? im considering about starting a couple of these, and breaking down my previos 55 gal reef, and making it just marine.

I have a retro 2x36 watt light over mine.  I made the hood myself with some 1x4" wood.  See hellolights.com

Another good source for PC's is www.ahsupply.com

If you want to DIY a nice ballast to buy would be the Fulham Workhorse 5 for a 2x36W setup.

Guest greatwit
at hellolights.com you can get a complete 96w quad bulb fixture made by coralife for around 100 bucks. what more could you want? i keep sps lps and softies under mine, although a clam i have not yet tried. let me know if you want a pic of the setup.

Guest Poker

I have posted this before and seen some take advantage of it. But for about $100.00 you can get a 12 G Nano cube with pump, magnetic glass cleaner, hood with 50/50 PC lighting, and a rear enclosed area for filtration. I changed the rear area to use a slightly modified carbon filter and upped the power of the little pump it came with. Other than that I have had it running 4 months with soft corals, cleaner, pepermint, and now a gold watchman gobie with pistol shrimp. The pistol while neat is a bit of a pain in a nano, and the team will probably be moved at some point to my larger tank. The Nano Cube set up is extrememly easy to care for and seems to "break in" much much quicker than any larger system. The only realy problem is that you must make any water changes or parameter changes very slowly. I know this is a bit off of the lighting question but the entire package costs what lighting for a nano system would. See you at the meeting Saturday.Regards,

Lee

Guest x2minusblndfold

hey greatwit. i would like to see a pic of the setup if thats ok?

everyone, thnx for the advise!!:)

Guest x2minusblndfold
if i deside to make my own fixture, are the ballasts hard to install?? is it worth it or should i just buy a fixture? putting it together myself would be the cheaper way out right??

It is certainly cheaper to DIY.  With a small system maybe we're talking $30 or so which you might deem a wash given your labor/time.  On the plus side of this you can make exactly what you want, which is one reason I have DIY lighting.  Wiring the ballasts and end caps are easy.

the diy kits come with complete instructions on how to wire it up.  If you plan on staying in this hobby- it pays to learn a little about wiring.  You will need to pick up a couple things from the hardware store such as caps, some electrical tape, etc.  The ballasts for these are real light- I mounted mine to the outside of the hood in the back.  Get the water proof endcaps for the bulbs.

Guest x2minusblndfold
kool, i think im going to do this!! im excited. hey Greatwit, thnx for the pics. ur nano is awsome, i have a stronge idea for what im going to do now.